Munising Diving Info Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zubaz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are going to be in the UP for a family reunion around the 4th of July. I would love to spend a day or two diving the shipwrecks around Munising. I see there is one outfit that does some charter diving but would appreciate any information/experiences that anyone can share.

The logisitics of getting all of our cold water gear there with the airline baggage rates is going to be a problem. I don't know the extent of rental gear available and the expense/hassle may be too much for a day of diving but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

Don't know when I'll get back there after this trip so I really would like to do it if at all possible!

Thanks

Geno

My wife and I are going to be in the UP for a family reunion around the 4th of July. I would love to spend a day or two diving the shipwrecks around Munising. I see there is one outfit that does some charter diving but would appreciate any information/experiences that anyone can share.

The logisitics of getting all of our cold water gear there with the airline baggage rates is going to be a problem. I don't know the extent of rental gear available and the expense/hassle may be too much for a day of diving but I'm going to give it a shot anyway.

Don't know when I'll get back there after this trip so I really would like to do it if at all possible!

Thanks

Geno

What is your experience level?

I dove up there right after I certified in a wetsuit (7mm) and pretty standard gear with no problem. The charter that we used was the same one that takes tourists to the Pictured Rocks and does the glass bottomed boat tours..

Available wrecks should be mentioned in the link and you should be alright if you can find rented gear and simply bring your mask, fins, timing devices, and regs.

Wife has lots of warm water experience but only a couple cold water dives at lake Tahoe. I have quite a bit more experience scuba and freediving in the cold, rough, low vis waters of Nor Cal (love it). We both have standard 7mm cold water gear. I would rather rent grear than haul it but I doubt that will be available.

We're not looking to do anything too difficult. It looks like there are a day or two worth of intersting wrecks that are pretty shallow. I went to school at Michigan Tech and remember the cold clear water of Lake Superior well. It's actually a lot like lake Tahoe in good weather.

I saw that charter on a web search and it looks like the only one that operates regularly. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the scoop!

Geno

Wife has lots of warm water experience but only a couple cold water dives at lake Tahoe. I have quite a bit more experience scuba and freediving in the cold, rough, low vis waters of Nor Cal (love it). We both have standard 7mm cold water gear. I would rather rent grear than haul it but I doubt that will be available.

We're not looking to do anything too difficult. It looks like there are a day or two worth of intersting wrecks that are pretty shallow. I went to school at Michigan Tech and remember the cold clear water of Lake Superior well. It's actually a lot like lake Tahoe in good weather.

I saw that charter on a web search and it looks like the only one that operates regularly. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the scoop!

Geno

Not a problem. I do believe that Munising will be perfect for you. Our shop regularly takes beginning divers there, so you shouldn't have a problem with the skill level of the wrecks and they aren't bad.

Good luck.

You may want to call up there and talk to Kate or Pete about that weekend. Since the weekend is a holiday and the run a busy glass bottom boat business, they may not be able to take you out. They do have a smaller boat and there are pontoon rentals available so there are other options. They may also be able to refer you to others. We go up the weekend after the holiday as a group since the logistics of the holiday are so difficult. One more thing, it is still winter up there so if you get the answering machine leave a message with a number and they will call you back when they check messages.

Rich

They are very accommodating folks up there. One year when their small boat had a mechanical problem, they took us out in one of their glass bottom boats! And there were only 2 of us!

Might want to ask them if you could ship your gear there via UPS or something and then ship it back after your dives. Would be a lot cheaper than the airlines.

As mentioned, Shipwreck Tours runs a fantastic op. Munising is a great place for beginning divers to experience Great Lakes wreck diving. The Bermuda is a favorite wreck of mine and it's in about 20 feet of water.

There are many things to do in Munising for non-divers as well. Lots of waterfalls, hiking trails, kayaking and other outdoor activities to make everyone happy. Check out the next issue of Alert Diver which is not out yet. I have a story in there about Munising diving.

Last time in Pete's shop left me with the feeling there wasn't many suits in his rental gear. Call ahead!

Other than the shipwrecks if you have calm seas try checking out the caves around Miners Castle.

Back
Top Bottom