Mussels safe to eat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supernal

Contributor
Reaction score
On a recent trip to Long Island, New York, I noticed mussels growing on the jettys there. I wondered if they were safe to eat. I was told by locals that they never ate them, but used them for fish bait. I still wonder, though.

probably not, if they were ok, locals would have already feed on them.
good mussels are sooooooooo gooooooood..........mmmmmmm........seafood.........

I would say just make sure they are not sick and see if there are any shellfish warnings in that area. Personaly I would be a little worried of the ones on a peer as it close to shore and between runoffs, humans, boats and trash they may have picked up some unwated contamination.

We used to dive for them in Turkey, ate them all the time. Location is important. We only took ones growing on rocks & such, never metal. I was told that the ones that grew on iron or steel structures were not safe to eat.

I have no idea if they'd be safe where you're talking about or not, but in general I'd feel better about it if they were out in open water.

You haven't really lived until you've tried to eat a shellfish growing on a creosote piling. :)
Seriously, though, I'd be suspicious of shellfish taken so close to so much human activity. Not knowing the particulars of the immediate area I can't say offhand, but in general when contemplating the harvest of shellfish on jetties, piers & other places close to developed areas, at a minimum have a fecal coliform count done on a sample before eating 'em.
Rick

Jean-Michel Cousteau once told me that he never ate "filterers." Now that's saying something for a French man since mussels seem to be a "delicacy" there. He said he doesn't eat filtering organs (kidneys, liver) either.

It was easy to agree with the latter, but I must admit that I am occasionally tempted by mussels and clams, especially if they come from relatively clean waters. Yum!

The Blue Mussel is the edible one. It grows to 4". The Horse Mussel looks similar but grows to 6" and is inedible. The Ribbed Mussel (has a ribbed shell), probably the one you're talking about, is found inshore and is inedible. Personally I would never eat any that were from inshore shallow waters because of pollutants. My buddies and I routinely feast on Blues that we grab off the Algol, a wreck 16 miles out and over 100' deep.

The old adage is "don't eat mussels in a month with an 'r' in it. I have made mussel stews with Baja California mussels in the summer with no ill effects.

isn't that oysters?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom