"Must" Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much depends on how your op does it, and your air consumption. I just looked at my log from the last time I did it...we went to 131 feet on 21% for 83 minutes. We crossed over to a shallow area about 1/3 of the way through the dive. I was using a steel 95 tank but many were using 120s. I
Wow... That's awesome. I am sure you are right. We were just using 80's

Opinions vary about Devil's Throat. I've done it a couple of times and I don't feel any compulsion to do it again. Been there, done that.

Colombia Shallows, OTOH, I could dive every day. :D

Columbia shallows has been a great night dive for me, twice.

.... Does anyone have any "Must" dives that we need to make sure to do....
Yes,,,tell your Captain you refuse to dive unless he drops you on "El Moro". But know in advance, you'll need to buy him lunch for that special drop site. :)

For me, Santa Rosa Wall is a must.
+1

The best dive in the "normal" part of Cozumel is the South Side of Punta Sur Reef on Nitrox 32, ending with a descent through the 118 ft exit of the Devil's Throat. Should be about 1 hour or more with HP 120 tanks.
Punta Sur Sur was great even without doing Devil's Throat. Liang took us through the Cathedral instead (I think that was the name). Much larger and far more interesting swimthrough (if you can even call it that), max depth I hit was 92ft but I was ~20ft off the sand inside it.

Yes,,,tell your Captain you refuse to dive unless he drops you on "El Moro". But know in advance, you'll need to buy him lunch for that special drop site. :)
I haven't heard of the dive site 'El Morro' before (other than the restaurant) when I have dove the island but often individual captains will come up with unique names for common sites. Common exampls are: Cedar pass for Cedral or Punta Palencar instead of Delilah or Rocky Point instead of Punta Tunich or Delilah instead or Francesa, could you describe the general location and dive site details for 'El Moro'?
As to 'must do' sites there are to many to list due to the great variety of outstanding dive sites in Cozumel. Some sites are better for some folks than others and it comes down to personal preference. Until most folks have done 5 to 10 trips to the island they probably haven't done enough dives to truly develope a true personal 'best dive' list. Over the last few years on vacation visits I have done about 500 dives on the island and still am amazed and surprised while diving here. My best list is tailored to my specific wants (heavily weighted towards Pez Leon density) but I have very few dive sites that I do not enjoy thoroughly.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of the dive site 'El Morro' before (other than the restaurant) when I have dove the island but often individual captains will come up with unique names for common sites.
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the restaurant.

I think must do dives are a personal preference as is "meh" dives. For me I have enjoyed every dive I have done, including Barracuda/San Juan. However there are 2 dives I am not really interested in doing, the wreck C-53 and devils throat. But that again is my own personal preference.

I think must do dives are a personal preference as is "meh" dives. For me I have enjoyed every dive I have done, including Barracuda/San Juan. However there are 2 dives I am not really interested in doing, the wreck C-53 and devils throat. But that again is my own personal preference.
Likewise, especially concerning the wreck. I'm there to look at the wonders of nature; the works of man, not so much.

As for night dives, I really like Chankanab the best. I also like Paradise reef for a night dive only. Don't care for it as a day dive.

I agree with the posters who said that both favorites and must avoids are largely matters of personal preference. That being said, here are some of my personal favorites, the dives I want to do every trip.

Palancar Caves/Palancar Bricks. There is a longish, downward sloping swimthrough on Palancar Bricks that exits at about 95', right at the wall; you can look down into the abyss. Then you make a right turn and swim along a wall punctuated by canyons rising up to the top of the reef. I love that dive. And I love the soaring coral structures on Palancar Caves.

Columbia Deep/Columbia Shallows. On trips when I haven't been diving in a while, my first day easy dives of choice are Columbia Shallows and Palancar Gardens - both relatively shallow, both typically easy current (though that can vary day to day), both beautiful dives with lots of sea life. Columbia Deep is just as beautiful, a bit more challenging.

Santa Rosa Wall. I love the feeling of soaring over the abyss, and if you are lucky enough to see one or more majestic spotted eagle rays coming up the wall, well that is amazing. NOT for divers who can't control their bouyancy or don't pay attention to their depth; I've seen divers on what was supposed to be a max 100' dive drift down to 135' or 140', completely oblivious to where they were. Enjoy Santa Rosa, but PAY ATTENTION, please.

Tormentos. The current here can get fast, but there's usually a lot to see, especially big green morays. This dive is always fun for me.

Dives that I would avoid include Barracuda - I've been on Barracuda on 3 dives, and can honestly say that I enjoyed the dive just once. The first time was long, long ago, not very long after I got certified, and the current was ripping so fast that I was frightened of being swept out to sea. I called the dive and got back on the boat. The second time, I was much more experienced, over my fear of being swept out to sea, and I finished the dive - it was less a dive than a ride at Disney World - Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Now if you adore scary rollercoasters, you might like Barracuda. If not, best to avoid.

I also dislike the Wreck Dive, C-53. Just boring. I'd much rather see soaring spires of coral and vibrant sea life than rusting hulks of metal.

Paradise reef during the day. I've had some wonderful night dives on Paradise, when the squid come out, the big lobsters are roaming the sand bottoms, and all the night life is out. But during the day, Paradise is just meh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom