'Must have' safety items?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For sound, a whistle or air horn. I have an air horn that attaches to the inflator hose. Never had to use it, but it's there and it's loud! Whistles (sound) don't really carry too well at sea. An smb for surface location would be good for a visual if you get separated and they need to look for you. Also good is an unbreakable mirror as a backup signal device and needs no batteries. Obviously not too good at night. For entanglement, a pair of emt scissors. And a light should be carried routinely. Sounds like a lot but if you're organized, you will be able to pack this away and still feel streamlined.

Hopefully a cruise dive is not too challenging and none of it is needed for your safety but I would rather have it and not need it than the opposite...

Also good is an unbreakable mirror as a backup signal device and needs no batteries. Obviously not too good at night..

Mirrors work GREAT at night when the searcher's lights hit them.....

Keep your setup simple. For the type of diving you're doing, there's nothing really mandatory unless the dive Op requires it. In that case they'll probably either provide it or have it available to rent. The most important piece of safety gear is the one balanced on your shoulders :). Listen to your DM/diveOp. Pay attention to your dive briefing (don't be fiddling with your gear). If you have questions, ask. Listen to the voice in your head. You're probably going to be excited and a bit anxious, so try to factor that in, but if it doesn't feel right or one of you changes your mind about the dive, remember there is always another dive. No harm, no foul. You guys are just starting out on a wonderful adventure. Make it a good start. Relax, enjoy, have fun...

I've taken the same basic safety gear on all dives for quite a long time: dSMB and finger spool, one light, Dive Alert signaling device, two cutting implements (Trilobite and a knife). I don't count my compass, computers... as safety devices.

For night, poor visibility I will take another light, and a strobe.

I've used all of these items over the years.

The thing about safety items is there are no "must have" items.

Not exactly. The two indispensable safety items are awareness and preparation. Unfortunately some divers leave them on the beach instead of between their ears. Otherwise, I concur.

Get DSMB with reel as well as cutting tool (suggest Eezycut Trilobite). That's it. Try to take minimum gear as possible. All these backup computers, additional pony bottles and other stuff are required for Solo / Technical divers.

I’ve read and researched this extensively and a common theme is that whistles and horns don’t carry far in the wind (I have both anyway) and sausages can be hard to see from far away. On the other hand, if you know how to use it (and it’s easy to learn how), a mirror flash can be seen from literally miles away. So I carry one of those, too. I think if you have a whistle and a mirror, you’ll be fine, particularly given where you’re diving. If you carry a sausage, I agree with the others, leave the reel. Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom