Mustache and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_daver - If this is you on the picture, then your mustache is much bigger than mine hehe. So, if you're fine guess I'll be ok.

Once again, thanks everyone for the responses.

Yah that's me. It all depends on what your comfortable with, I like my extra food strainer and am willing to pay the small comfort price that comes along with it.

Enjoy.

Try shaving the top 1/4". I tried this on another's recommendation & I went from clearing my mask often to NEVER!

I get asked this question alot when I am teaching. Here are the answers that I and my co-instructor usually give:
1. Do nothing. You might get lucky and have no problem. Or, your mask may leak a little more than usual and you will just need to blow it out more frequently.
2. Keep a thin strip between your nose and 'stash shaved so you have a small amount of bare skin to form a seal.
3. Put a little Vaseline on your lip to help smooth out seal area.
4. Shave it off.

I don't shave, don't use vaseline or anything else. The only time i have flooding issues is when I try to use my HydroOptix mask.

I no longer wear a 'stash but I did for many years. I used to shave about a 1/8" strip along the top just below my nose. That did the trick. I have a buddy who wears a full mustache and beard. He had the hair along the top of his mustache permanently removed by electrolysis.

Here's my twist...
I have a mask with a purge valve, and while diving in the cold water of Monterey, I tend to exhale through my nose every few minutes to warm my face, which of course clears whatever water has leaked in, so I don't really notice it. The one drawback of having a purge valve is that equalizing my ears is slightly more difficult because the valve gets in the way of pinching my nose. so, I'm considering getting a mask without a purge valve. Maybe then I'll discover that my stash is causing leakage.

Many of my students have good luck with a few tips:
1. shave the moustache just under the nose to allow the mask to seal better
2. use a commercial moustache/mask sealer (looks like a tube of chapstick)
3. using silicone grease on the moustache hairs to make them lay a little flatter.

Try these tips before you go to drastic measures and shave it off! Happy Diving!

I have a full beard and 'stache and don't have any problems keeping a seal. I don't shave, use goop, or do anything special. If you take care to get the right mask, you can probably do the same. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom