MV FeBrina (Kimbe Bay ) vs MV Pelagian (Wakatobi)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a deposit paid reservation on the MV Febrina for a 10-day liveaboard trip of Kimbe Bay in October 2015. However, certain issues (which are out of scope to mention here) have arisen and I am seriously considering pulling out and asking for my deposit back. I then want to consider a suitable alternative and at present a week's trip of Wakatobi on board the MV Pelagian combined with a few days of resort diving is the favourite. As I write, there are places available for the October 2015 cruise but it is a popular destination and I need to make a decision asap.

Purely in terms of quality of diving (marine life), how does Wakatobi compare with Kimbe Bay?

PS: I could not ask this question in the Regional Forums thread because the two destinations are in two separate areas.

BTW, my 2nd hand understanding is that the Pelagian just visits the same sites that you do from the resort. Consider that in your places to go.

BTW, my 2nd hand understanding is that the Pelagian just visits the same sites that you do from the resort. Consider that in your places to go.

I too have the same second hand info from friends that dived at Wakatobi last year. They also said that the diving was 'nice', but mainly macro. I can tell you first hand that I loved the diving in PNG. We stayed at Walindi resort and had some awesome diving. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I didn't have to endure the domestic flights...

I have been to Wakatobi twice, but not on board the Pelagian (other than to take a tour of the boat...very nice). My understanding and observation is that the Pelagian cruses a wider area than the day boats from the resort. That said, the Pelagian does indeed spend at least part of the trip diving in the same areas as the resort divers. Also of note is that on the Pelagian, there are four scheduled dives per day whereas from the Wakatobi resort, there are only three (although you can dive the house reef any time).

Last edited:
I made an enquiry about the dive sites and they told me that the Pelagian visits several sites not covered by any day boat. Also, I have read that the diving around the Wakatobi resort is excellent. So hopefully, I should get the best of both worlds.

I can tell you first hand that I loved the diving in PNG. We stayed at Walindi resort and had some awesome diving. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I didn't have to endure the domestic flights...
I never had any doubts about the quality of diving anywhere in Kimbe Bay. That was the reason I booked that trip in the first place. But then, I became disheartened following some e-mail exchanges with the dive staff related to the trip. They were too intent on stamping their authority and this seriously put me off. Around the same time I heard reports about the abrasive attitude of MV Febrina'sCaptain and some of the crew. After due consideration I decided to let it pass by and changed to Wakatobi. I am glad that I did.

I dove off the Pelagian in April of this year. My trip was a great distance from Wakatobi and am confident we dove different sites. We saw no other dive boat during the trip. Diving was the best I've ever done. Been though-out the Carribean, Truk, Palau, Great Barrier. The boat is luxurious, and would go back in a heartbeat.

Lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom