My 1st Cozumel Trip Dec 9th - 16th!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Aldora offers more than the largest tanks on the island. They go to great lengths for high standards in many aspects. I have my own reasons for diving with a different Op, besides me just being cheap - but I am sure that they are worth their rates.

they are asking $1,118. That is before tax and does not include lodging. Is that nuts?
Yeah, kinda. I have done solo trips there and dove 4 times a day, but I only spent $1300 on the entire trip. Food, air, car, and diving. By the time you add your food, the car, and the condo you could go diving just about anywhere. Spending that much money gives you a lot of options. How did you arrive at Cozumel? I would want to be diving on Bloody Bay Wall or Turneffe Atoll.

I just glanced at my dive watch for my last trip with Aldora and most dive times were in the 75-85 minute range. I think I saw one at 88 minutes and a few around 60 minutes (perhaps Barracuda or Maracaibo). I do not recall if I was the limiting factor since my Suuntos are very conservative.

I would question whether you will regularly get 90 minute dives and that a dive op will let you stay down 15, 20 or 30 minutes after everyone else is on the boat.

---------- Post Merged at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:21 PM ----------

I guess a simple way of looking at it would be: it costs 1.5x the price to go with Aldora, if you can stay down for nearly 1.5x the time, then it is roughly the same $/min of bottom time and worth the premium given all of the other positive factors....

I have been diving with Aldora for a long time but have tried a dozen or so other dive ops. Whether you would appreciate them as I do is unknown. Consider diving with them several days. Plus use your hotel dive op for an afternoon/night dive.

One thing to consider. If the port is closed for a few days due to a norte, who may be diving the east side?

Yeah, kinda. I have done solo trips there and dove 4 times a day, but I only spent $1300 on the entire trip. Food, air, car, and diving. By the time you add your food, the car, and the condo you could go diving just about anywhere. Spending that much money gives you a lot of options. How did you arrive at Cozumel? I would want to be diving on Bloody Bay Wall or Turneffe Atoll.

I'm doing a week on a liveaboard in Belize in March! I am doing Coz because I am going to be in Cancun for something else anyways...I have been seeing some discussion of the cave diving in Playa Del Carmen on other sites. Anyone here have an opinion on it?

I'm doing a week on a liveaboard in Belize in March! I am doing Coz because I am going to be in Cancun for something else anyways...I have been seeing some discussion of the cave diving in Playa Del Carmen on other sites. Anyone here have an opinion on it?
Cenote diving can be great. I'd move to Playa del Carmen two days before your flight, stay a couple of nights there, and do a couple of freshwater dives. More night life as well.

...they seem quite expensive...Dan

Dan,

From your previous posts it appears that you are quite the traveler...like others have said I would not skimp on a Dive Operator, but look to save in either or both food and lodging, with your experience that should not be an issue. Since this is your first trip to Coz, you should just enjoy the trip, take it all in and not worry so much about the minor incidentals.

You seem to be hung up with extending your bottom time by a few minutes. Don't forget, most operators dive as GROUPS and you can only stay down as long as the GROUP stays down. :grouphug:

If your posted dive count (25-49) is accurate, I would recommend keep working on the simple skills; as your skills improve your enjoyment level will too. For many people diving is about Quality, not Quantity. :yeahbaby:
How is your buoyancy, your trim & balance, O² consumption rate? All of these are great skills to work on while enjoying Coz.

Have a good time,

~Me~
:fish::fish::fish:
:goldfish::goldfish::goldfish:

I absolutely spend a a few nights at Wet Wendy's...excellent margaritas, good networking, and they are beginning to have bands! I detest tourist bars/clubs and prefer more of a local flavor...besides you WILL NOT find a better margarita than at Wet Wendy's. As to the diving we always use Dive Wtih Martin...if you can dive well they will take you to the more advanced sites. They have 100cf...I am Nox cert also but the cost of it down there is more than I'm willing to pay. Small groups 4-6 divers, fast boats and early departure times means you will be first to hit the sites in the morning. Good luck and enjoy the beauty of Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom