My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Totally agree on the whole marigold latex dish glove point, those are just awful.

Sadly for the showa 3416s, the dang things only come in black.
Hand signals with black gloves suck :/

That is definitely true. :D

The gloves that I've been recommending to sport divers - that is, divers that are NOT scraping boat barnacles and operating underwater chainsaws - are the SHOWA 720s.

They have the same cut resistance as the 660, 490, and 495, and BETTER puncture resistance... But are thinner, stretchier, and warmer. For those people using drygloves in temperatures above 55*F, they may find them warm enough to use with no underglove whatsoever, which dramatically increases dexterity and tactile function... I venture to say even better than a latex glove with an underglove.

The 720s are nitrile instead of PVC... And have blue palms for hand signals. :D

Here's a chart of the gloves that I've tested... With their EN388 ratings. Be sure to see the "notes" section of each glove for specifics.

I also added my own "dexterity" rating on each glove - which is sort of an unofficial opinion of how the gloves handle, taking tactile feel and dexterity into account.

gloves.jpg

This chart can be downloaded here in three different formats:

www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.jpg

www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.pdf

www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.xlsx
gloves.xlsx

If you know of a glove that should be on this list and isn't, please PM me and I'll test them and put them on the chart.

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 34
  • gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 35
"Glove evangelism?" :D

Sorry - I was tagged... And the discussion was about gloves, at least at that point in the thread. I'm not affiliated with any glove manufacturer... I don't sell them and have no commercial interest in them. I'm just a diver that uses gloves every day (they're actually quite critical to my work) and quantified my experience with them over the past few years.

If the info isn't wanted, fine. :D

Later.

Sorry if I offended you.

That is definitely true. :D

The gloves that I've been recommending to sport divers - that is, divers that are NOT scraping boat barnacles and operating underwater chainsaws - are the SHOWA 720s.

They have the same cut resistance as the 660, 490, and 495, and BETTER puncture resistance... But are thinner, stretchier, and warmer. For those people using drygloves in temperatures above 55*F, they may find them warm enough to use with no underglove whatsoever, which dramatically increases dexterity and tactile function... I venture to say even better than a latex glove with an underglove.

The 720s are nitrile instead of PVC... And have blue palms for hand signals. :D

Here's a chart of the gloves that I've tested... With their EN388 ratings. Be sure to see the "notes" section of each glove for specifics.

I also added my own "dexterity" rating on each glove - which is sort of an unofficial opinion of how the gloves handle, taking tactile feel and dexterity into account.

View attachment 577354

This chart can be downloaded here in three different formats:

www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.jpg

www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.pdf

www.deepsouthdivers.org/gloves.xlsx
gloves.xlsx

If you know of a glove that should be on this list and isn't, please PM me and I'll test them and put them on the chart.
Actually thanks for the OT post as I’d have missed this important (to me) otherwise.

@Marie13

your post has gone on for how many pages? Do you really expect it to stay always on topic for this long? I know you are not new to SB.

Actually thanks for the OT post as I’d have missed this important (to me) otherwise.

@Marie13

your post has gone on for how many pages? Do you really expect it to stay always on topic for this long? I know you are not new to SB.
Its not off topic. There have been pages of discussion about cold water dexterity, gloves, seals under gloves, and bungies vs tubes.

Marie just doesn't consider it relevant to her.

Its not off topic. There have been pages of discussion about cold water dexterity, gloves, seals under gloves, and bungies vs tubes.

Marie just doesn't consider it relevant to her.

On of the great things about SB/social media is the relevant information that others chime in with. As someone looking at a new dry glove system that is reliable/strong, @Deep South Divers 's comment couldn't be more timely. So yeah, all those side discussions are important to be shared.

Well my AN/Heliotrox class got bumped too. My first session wouldn't been the end of April with the second session memorial day weekend. Now memorial day weekend is session one with the second session two weeks later. :(

Well my AN/Heliotrox class got bumped too. My first session wouldn't been the end of April with the second session memorial day weekend. Now memorial day weekend is session one with the second session two weeks later. :(

That sucks. I know exactly how you feel. I wonder if a certain member of the peanut gallery is going to say there's something wrong with you, too, since you can't get your course done!:poke:

first of all I am an IT/course director for advanced nitrox /deco instructor so ive seen my share of students and instructor candidates on these courses some have taken 2 or more seasons to finish and they WERE NOT STUPID or had something wrong with them just the way it is . for some at the NON LEADERSHIP level to question why someone had not finished a course in 1 season is garbage ..even without this cvd-19 stuff,............at 50 dives YOU don't even qualify to get on those courses ...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom