My best day diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ericlt1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My best day diving

I just got back from diving the Yukon in San Diego. I am completely exhausted but need to get this onto Scubaboard ASAP.

Yesterday I attended the GUE Demo Day in Reseda (you can read more about that here). At the end of the event I was invited by Bob Sherwood and Steve Millington to do a wreck dive today. I was a little apprehensive at first because of the following:

1. I had never dove nitrox
2. I had never been past ~50-60 ft
3. I had never dove a wreck
4. Perhaps most important… my overall skill level was so far behind the other divers I didn’t want to impose or impede them with my ignorance.

They all encouraged me to go and told me it would be no problem. This looked like an opportunity that I would regret passing up. One of the divers, Cody, generously offered to let me borrow one of his tanks since I only have one. Another awesome person, Nicole, said I could borrow a pair of her husband’s fins since I was unhappy with mine. Steve even offered to let me ride down there with him.

The conditions could not have been better. The ocean was flat, and the visibility was ~70’. This; however, is not what made the dive spectacular. What made this day so great was the team of people I went with. Everybody was kind, helpful, fun, and safe. Even though these dives pushed my skills to new levels, there was not a single moment where I felt uncomfortable. Every single diver there was ready and trained to assist me should I need it. The entire time I was observing the other divers, and working on honing my own skills.

The first dive was a blast and very challenging. Although we dove the same spot the second dive, the second dive was even more exciting and challenging than the first. I am not sure who, since everybody looks the same in a DUI drysuit :wink:, but somebody let me use their scooter… what a blast that was. After exploring the entire length of the ship I signaled to Bob that it was time to head up based on my remaining gas. Instead of just heading up, Bob deployed his long hose to me and we worked on sharing air. We cruised around the ship for a while and then methodically executed our ascent. There was no limit to the opportunities and skills these divers could offer me.

In conclusion :dork2: The group I was with was a GUE DIR team. They were the most generous, open, and friendly divers I have encountered. I know there are a small group of relatively loud, self proclaimed DIR experts on these forums who can poorly represent the DIR community. Please ignore them. The people at Hollywood Divers, Karim and Steve, as well as Bob from GUE, are not only THE experts, but also friendly, and professional. They are who you need to dive with and learn from. Thank you to all the divers on the boat today. Now I must sleep before I collapse.

Diving in a coherent team is an amazing feeling, huh? Congrats on a great new experience. I'm sure you learned a ton as well. It's shocking how much you can improve with a day of Bob. Just imagine how much you learn in a Fundies class with him ;-)

What a wonderful post!

I've spent almost five years fighting the stereotype of DIR divers as stiff-necked, regimented jerks. You did better in one post, at conveying WHY this type of diving is wonderful, and why the people who do it are so much fun to dive with. Thank you.

"Jealous" doesn't even BEGIN to describe how I feel! :wink: Wish I'd been there. Thanks for sharing!

70ft viz on the Yukon? You are living a charmed life. Oh and the DIR stuff is cool too.

Great summary to what was an awesome day of diving. Looking forward to the next trip.

Q

An epic amount of fun was had today by all. On the ride home today I was reflecting how much fun I've had diving and I can attribute the large majority of that to the GUE/DIR community. The mentorship and team spirit is what makes it so special. We had divers from every end of the spectrum today and we all helped each other out and had a ball in the water.

It should also be mentioned that the crew of the Marrissa really made it happen today for us even though we didn't want to put our gear in different spots. :wink:

Thanks for the post!

My best day diving
They all encouraged me to go and told me it would be no problem. This looked like an opportunity that I would regret passing up. One of the divers, Cody, generously offered to let me borrow one of his tanks since I only have one. Another awesome person, Nicole, said I could borrow a pair of her husband’s fins since I was unhappy with mine. Steve even offered to let me ride down there with him.

Eric you got that right! Sounds like an awesome day. And the DIR people you mention here, Nicole and Cody are great ambassadors of DIR.

After exploring the entire length of the ship I signaled to Bob that it was time to head up based on my remaining gas. Instead of just heading up, Bob deployed his long hose to me and we worked on sharing air. We cruised around the ship for a while and then methodically executed our ascent. There was no limit to the opportunities and skills these divers could offer me.

This captures the whole spirit of DIR for me: Having fun while executing skills!

In conclusion :dork2: The group I was with was a GUE DIR team. They were the most generous, open, and friendly divers I have encountered. I know there are a small group of relatively loud, self proclaimed DIR experts on these forums who can poorly represent the DIR community. Please ignore them. The people at Hollywood Divers, Karim and Steve, as well as Bob from GUE, are not only THE experts, but also friendly, and professional. They are who you need to dive with and learn from. Thank you to all the divers on the boat today. Now I must sleep before I collapse.

Right on! You could not have stated it any better than you did here!

I never had an issue with any of the SoCal DIR types. Though I think it's more of because SoCal divers tend to be more gregarious and helpful than due to either DIR or rec diving culture.

Yeah, the Hollywood Divers people are very cool. Hal introduced me to sidemount, hehe.

If I were still in SoCal this year, I would have taken some classes with that bunch.

Back
Top Bottom