My Bio-fin splitfin...split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rumblefish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, just got back from a great vacation in Thailand. Managed to get 17 dives in during my stay, including 11 in on a LOB in the Similan Islands.

During my first dive on the LOB, when donning the fin, the loop on the fin strap snapped. OK, I think...no problem, it happens. However, on the very last dive of the trip I had a major failure of my bio-fin. Upon surfacing on the last dive, a member in my dive group let me know that my biofin had split right down the middle. Well, duh, I'm thinking, they are split fins....and then I look down and notice that there really is a huge split down the middle of my fin. I really don't know how it split. I wasn't crouching on the seabed or knocking into anything.

Now, I'm a little shocked at this as I bought the fin in late 2006 and have only about 70 dives on it. I take real good care of my gear. I always rinse after dives and never dry or store my gear in direct sunlight. Due to it's heavy rubber construction, I thought that these would last for years.

I have to say, I love my biofins. But, this is something I never expected and has kind of given me pause if asked to recommend a fin. So I throw it out to the board, has anyone ever experienced something similar to this?

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 108
Have seen this "split"happening once,on a Oceanic V12.
They have a "limited"lifetime warrenty.
I called them about it and told me to replace it on the spot.
Afterwards is was a batch of fins with a bad rubber mix.
Never seen it happen again,uptill now.

Good luck with the warrenty.
Would be nice to know what they DO.

Last edited:
rumblefish:

Please contact us direct @ 800.231.0909/fax: 425.290.7665/e-mail: apollous@mac.com

Our warranty on Apollo bio-fins is one year from date of purchase.

We have a number of options for any warranty issue.

Give us a call, fax, or e-mail.

Well, I contacted Apollo and here is what they told me. Since my fins are over the 1 year warranty, I have the option of buying a new fin from them with a 1 time 50% discount. If I have my original receipt they won't charge me for shipping and I must send the damaged fin back to them. So, if I want to replace my fin, it works out like this:

Apollo Bio-fin pro C-series $279 -50% DISCOUNT = $139 to replace both

To replace 1 fin would be half of that = ~$70 for 1 fin.

Now the thing that's funny is that the woman on the phone said that the spring straps would cost extra??? I think she has this wrong as the C-series is priced $60 more then the normal biofin because of the spring strap.

I wrote the Apollo rep a PM saying something to the effect that while I don't mind paying for parts that are subject to normal wear and tear like screws and straps, this failure is not the same as it's a total failure in basic construction. The rep's response...tough, that's the deal.

Now, I could elect to buy another fin, but if there's an issue with the construction of the fin, the other fin may be subject to a similar failure. If that fails after I buy 1 fin from them, well, I'm basically out of luck. I could elect to buy a pair from them, but I just don't know if they really stand behind their products.

I'm still mulling over what to do.

For the record here is our response:

Hi Jeff:

Our warranty is for one year from purchase.

Using soaps, or solvents, sun exposure, etc, can all degrade the all rubber bio-fin.

Simply rinse with fresh water and store in a cool dry place.

We do offer a significant discount for replacement. You have been notified of that discount amount and it will apply to your fins purchased in 2006.

We are open 9-5, M-T @
Apollo Sports: Dive Gear
e-mail: apollous@mac.com
fax: 425.290.7665

Annoying, I'll agree, but Apollo's proposal seems fairly reasonable given the simple fact that the fins are 3 years old and there is a one year warranty.

There will always be some risk with a natural rubber product, I suppose is the lesson in this. The fins are good enough that it seems to be that the trade-off may be worth it.

$139.00 to replace both is a pretty good deal. That will also give you a spare fin if you should ever need one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom