my daughter......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch0ppersrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
got certified (junior cert. ) when she was 10 and decided she wasn't interested in diving anymore. She has 10 dives in (since 2003) Well, she is 14 now and mentioned she wants to get back into diving. My question is: does she need to get recertified or can she take the refresher course? We won't be doing to much diving seeing as how we hate cold water and low vis (yes, we just moved from Hawaii to the mainland).

If she's 14, she's eligible for regular Open Water. A refresher course before then, however, might be a good idea.

She is still certified as a Open Water, Jr, diver. As ScubaTexan mentioned, she can now contact PADI and requist her regular OW cert. As I read the PADI rules, there is no provision for re-certification. But clearly she will need a refresher course.

That's how it looks to me.

Jeff

for peace of mind i would do a refresher

almitychild only dives in summer and her first dive of the season is a refresher - peace of mind for both her and us

cheers

thanks for the replies. as soon as our gear arrives (hopefully it does) we will get her signed up for a refresher.

ch0ppersrule:
thanks for the replies. as soon as our gear arrives (hopefully it does) we will get her signed up for a refresher.

Awesome! Best of luck to her! :)

That's nice. She is young enough to be one of very few children with a skill that most people can only think about or watch on TV. I now wish that I had taken my employees' suggestion that I start diving many years ago. Wonder what the percentage of the population are actually certified divers who regularly carry on with the sport. Not those who tried it through certification and then dropped out or dive once a year on vacation.

ScubaTexan:
If she's 14, she's eligible for regular Open Water. A refresher course before then, however, might be a good idea.

Don't know who the certification agency is for your daughter, but if it is PADI, she'll remain a junior diver until she turns 15.

Four years out and she just might be better off with going through the entire process again. A lot changes in the mind of a ten year old after four years. A scuba review course might point out some deficiencies, but will it not teach her over again how and why to dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom