My DC died at 108 ft. Now what do I replace it with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Geo 2.0. However, the interface could be better, although I'm more used to it now after 100 dives. I'm going to a Perdix over the winter and the Geo will be my backup.
That's pretty much the way I see things unfolding for me too (with a Perdix AI), but at least now, I am not without a functioning dive computer.

Well, today ("Black Friday") I came up with a short term fix. I am still waiting to hear what the "verdict" is on my ProPlus 3. Enough people have said to get the Perdix (with or without AI) that if my PP3 is toast, I think that a Perdix will be my long term fix.

Having said that, I was at my LDS today, and he "made me an offer I couldn't refuse" on his last Geo2 that he had in stock. This gives me a functioning Dive Computer in the short term which will serve as a back up to either my refurbished PP3 or a new Perdix in the long term.

Ya gotta love Black Friday clearances.
Sounds like you ended up with the optimum solution. Glad it worked out for you.

That's pretty much the way I see things unfolding for me too (with a Perdix AI), but at least now, I am not without a functioning dive computer.
Drink the kool-aid and get a Perdix! We will continue to peer pressure you to become a Shearwater fan!

I was on a LOB last week and after a few days of diving, my Dive Computer (an Oceanic ProPlus 3) decided it was time to pack it in. Unfortunately, it did this as I was exiting a swim through at 108ft. The display was reading a tank pressure, no depth was displayed and 0 Air Time Remaining (ATR). I looked at my buddy and signaled that I was OK but my computer was toast and that I was going back to the boat (which conveniently was right above us as we exited the swim through). My buddy paired up with somebody else & I headed for the surface. Even though I wasn't sure if I could trust the tank pressure displayed on my computer, I was confident that I had enough to do a safety stop. I got back on the boat safely and once on the surface, the computer shut down totally. BTW, the DM on the boat was great! He "hooked me up" with a computer for the last couple days of the trip and didn't charge me for it.

So ... it looks as though I am now in the market for a new dive computer (assuming mine can not be fixed economically).

I see three ways that I could go with this. I have a few LDSs, so there are a couple options available to me.

The low cost "simple" option: I have always liked Air Integrated Dive Computers and while I would prefer one, I look at this as a "want" not a "need". The lowest cost option for me would be to take advantage of the offer that Oceanic has on their website for 30% discount on any dive computer when you trade in one (working or not). I could trade in my PP3, and then I could then apply this 30% discount to a Geo2 and pick up a pressure gauge, and I am back in business so to speak for a couple hundred bucks. I would however lose air integration by going this route.

The "gear head" option: One of my LDSs is a Shearwater distributor. I could blow the budget and go for a Perdix AI. SB is full of rave reviews of both this computer and the outstanding customer service that Shearwater has. It also appeals to the side of me that says "Buy once. Cry once." (I am a bit of a gear head so although for the type of diving I do, this option is very definitely overkill, but I am OK with that.)

The "status quo" option: This option would see me replacing my ProPlus 3 with either another PP3 or a similar computer with maybe a bit newer technology. Options available at my LDS would include either the PP3 (with the 30% discount) or the Sherwood Sage. I did really like the PP3, but to be honest, I know absolutely nothing about the Sage other than the owner of one of the LDSs personally uses one and he really likes it.

I am a vacation diver. I do not do tech dives and I tend to primarily dive in warm turquoise water. I will be the first to admit that I do not need a Perdix AI, but I am also not willing to arbitrarily rule it out. To be honest, I am leaning toward the 2 extremes right now, either the Geo2 & pressure gauge or the Perdix AI. I see the merit in both options for the type of diving I do. (BTW, I am not going to eventually do more technical dives as I progress. I have no interest in tech diving and at 58 years old, I doubt that I ever will.)

So, what are your thoughts and does anybody know anything about the Sherwood Sage?
have many shearwater units stand alone, nerd, ccr.... the best on the market bar none. awesome service, support.

I know I do. That is why I am laughing.
This is us at you if you don't get a Shearwater unit:
hqdefault.jpg

@scbaNE2179 FWIW, I did have a tiny sip of the ScubaBoard Kool-Aid. I did order a Deep 6 Gear SPG on their Black Friday sale.

Back
Top Bottom