My Discover Scuba Diving Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't know claustrophobia was even a thing for scuba divers until my ex- and I got certified and I learned that breathing on scuba made her feel claustrophobic.

Before we got certified, we did a DSD in Maui. Open ocean. I loved it. She had some trouble with it. Mostly with needing more weight to get down at the start. I think if we had not done the DSD first, and she seen the turtles and other stuff we saw, she would not have persevered through the OW class to get her certification.

The point? If a DSD only gives a person a taste of the parts of scuba that aren't fun for them, and leaves out a taste of the parts that they might really like, then they haven't really "discovered" scuba and they could easily be put off from something that they would actually enjoy and maybe even come to love.

...just not my idea of what a DSD is supposed to be about.

I should state that I have never done a DSD.

Well thank God that someone who has never even done a DSD, does not get to dictate the rules and procedures of them. I got to see a ton of marine life and wreck stuff on my DSD as did my 8yr old daughter.

Well thank God that someone who has never even done a DSD, does not get to dictate the rules and procedures of them. I got to see a ton of marine life and wreck stuff on my DSD as did my 8yr old daughter.

I would apologize for sharing my opinion on a public forum but it is a public forum and my opinion. :D

I am glad you enjoyed your DSD but I see all kinds of issues with doing DSDs over a reef when people have no idea how to control buoyancy.

I would apologize for sharing my opinion on a public forum but it is a public forum and my opinion. :D

I am glad you enjoyed your DSD but I see all kinds of issues with doing DSDs over a reef when people have no idea how to control buoyancy.

You are also making an assumption that all people have no concept of buoyancy and that all reef dives must be over a reef. Assumptions are not opinions.

You are also making an assumption that all people have no concept of buoyancy and that all reef dives must be over a reef. Assumptions are not opinions.

And that all reef dives are done on top of the reef. A lot of my reef dives have been beside the reef. Usually with a sandy bottom not far below.

No, my opinion is DSDs should be done in a pool. That is not an assumption but an opinion based on many factors with the first factor being safety.

As for my assumptions, I do not assume all people have no concept of buoyancy as I am sure there are some who get it. But I think it is fair to say the majority do not understand it.

So yes, I did insert assumptions but I did not base my opinion on those assumptions alone. But I digress..I have zero desire to argue. That is not what I come to this board for.

Will my opinion of DSD change as I gain more experience and dive in different locations, sure it is possible for for the time being that is what i think.

No, my opinion is DSDs should be done in a pool. That is not an assumption but an opinion based on many factors with the first factor being safety.

As for my assumptions, I do not assume all people have no concept of buoyancy as I am sure there are some who get it. But I think it is fair to say the majority do not understand it.

So yes, I did insert assumptions but I did not base my opinion on those assumptions alone. But I digress..I have zero desire to argue. That is not what I come to this board for.

Will my opinion of DSD change as I gain more experience and dive in different locations, sure it is possible for for the time being that is what i think.

Not an argument at all. I am simply stating my opinion (as you said this is an open forum) that you have no experience to actually base your opinion on. Not that it is a problem, but it does determine the level of support your opinion receives. I can have the "opinion" that diving a rebreather below 10' is insanely dangerous and I can sorta back that up with most all rebreather deaths occur below 10'. But, the reality is I have no actual experience diving a rebreather and more than likely, to rebreather divers I would sound like a fool. But, in the end you are welcome to your opinion.

I'm sure that if you look at the numbers, DSD is way safer than many other activities in life. Scuba diving in general is way safer than sky diving, and no one goes around trying to argue tandem dives should only be performed in a wind tunnel.

We are talking about recreational diving at a maximum depth of 12 meters, but I've never seen it done any deeper than 5 - 6 meters. It's pretty much a pool.

I'm sure that if you look at the numbers, DSD is way safer than many other activities in life. Scuba diving in general is way safer than sky diving, and no one goes around trying to argue tandem dives should only be performed in a wind tunnel.

We are talking about recreational diving at a maximum depth of 12 meters, but I've never seen it done any deeper than 5 - 6 meters. It's pretty much a pool.
Well, I think we're going around in circles. While I do agree that DSD logically is much safer in a pool, I know from SB that many say they would not have pursued scuba if not for a great DSD. But as mentioned way back, at least from what I've read AND heard of in person, it can very easily be a DSD not done in a safe manner. Even the ratio Standards IMHO are an invitation to a disaster, let alone one instructor taking on 8 students--yes, I've heard of that more than once. As I mentioned, I've read that PADI recognized a while back that the incident rate in DSD is greater than in ANY other PADI course. That's why I say OK to the pool. Yes, some rare situations exist where OW can basically be a pool, but that's probably a very low % of sites.

Back
Top Bottom