My Dive buddy is afraid of getting eaten by a Shark.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this an 'all sharks' issue, or just species associated with dangerousness to humans, and/or 'big' (6' plus) sharks? If a 3 to 5' Caribbean reef shark passes by 30 feet off to the side, is that a big deal?

If he sticks to shallow Keys reef diving, any of you Keys regulars recall seeing bull, large hammerhead, tiger or great white sharks on the Florida Keys reef dives? Is so, how frequent does that appear to be? I've been under the impression it'd be pretty unusual.

Someone who's just worried about Great White attack might be comforted knowing they're colder water sharks and there are Caribbean dive destinations where it is EXTREMELY unlikely for one to be around. They do occur in Florida waters, though, gotta admit that.

Richard.

Once he's cured of sharks, you can work with him on Cudas, crocs, sting rays, jelly fish, man eating turtles.......yes, they don't care for women......good luck.
Don't forget giant octopus and squid. I hear they attack entire submarines. :wink:
It's the territorial triggerfish he should be worried about. Those things are just plain mean. And yes they are out to get you!

...//... Can everybody help me by giving me more real statistics and facts, so i can get him to stop researching Shark prevention products and relax. ...//...
You are attacking the problem from your logical perspective. Maybe better to try attacking the problem from HIS perspective.

I suggest that you have him watch this:
Next, have him get a bottle of it and hide it on his person so no other divers see it. :wink:

Now he has his feather and both of you can fly...

Just go dive. As noted above there is no way to cure irrational fears. I am afraid of heights. My divebuddy laughed her ass off the first time I drifted out over the top of a wall - can you say back peddle?

Most experienced divers long to see sharks.

P.S. Eaten? Nope, they will just get a leg chomped off!

OP, I can sympathize with your dive buddy. I am not particularly fond of sharks and rays (this is a major understatement). People have ridiculed my fear, but I don't really give a flying fig. Maybe I'll eventually dive salt water, but it's not a pressing issue.

I've solved the "no salt water" issue by being very happy with only diving on the Great Lakes, besides quarries in the region. There is nothing in the Great Lakes that can eat me! My reason for getting into diving was to dive Great Lakes wrecks anyway (a very long standing interest). I'll have three days of diving wrecks on northern Lake Huron next week.

Great Lakes: unsalted and shark free! :D

Marie13,
Many pilots, including me, have a fear of heights, but when flying, the joy of soaring through the air like an eagle somehow magically makes the fear of heights evaporate, at least for that period of time. Having experienced that loss of fear during thousands of flights, I think the first time you descend over a gorgeous reef filled with an unbelievable palate of colors, shapes, and textures in coral and fish, the sheer joy of that experience will make you forget your fears during the dive. You will be dazzled and mesmerized. But be warned, that experience will be expensive for you because you will want to go back and do it again, and again, and again. And you will not likely be able to replicate that sense of awe and emotion in the Great Lakes or quarries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom