My encounter with a Green Moray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're you handling octopus or cleaning fish prior to that dive? I had one get pretty aggressive about a zoo keeper full of lionfish once, once I had backed away from the reef a good bit he turned and went back.

We're you handling octopus or cleaning fish prior to that dive? I had one get pretty aggressive about a zoo keeper full of lionfish once, once I had backed away from the reef a good bit he turned and went back.
No, I had my video light on and I think that is what attracted it.

I love seeing them when they're in their holes. When they're out free swimming they creep me out.

No, I had my video light on and I think that is what attracted it.
Possibly. They have really poor vision but a great sense of smell. Might look menacing but it's just drawing water over its gills to check you out.

They feed them, so morays are chasing divers asking for a treat. I had to push one away with my camera and another one bit my wife's finger, not seriously. We were swimming when she felt something, turned out a moray attached itself to her hand.

Possibly. They have really poor vision but a great sense of smell. Might look menacing but it's just drawing water over its gills to check you out.
Yeah, I know. I wasn't the least bit scared of it. But when we got back to the dive shop and I was showing the video, some if the DMs were creep out by it. I thought they of all people wouldn't be.

When I was in Roatan I found the Morays to be very aggressive and the only way I was able to chase them off was with a blast of air from my regulator. People have been feeding them and they associate divers with food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom