My experience with Books a Million

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessicaDodge

Contributor
Reaction score
Just have to vent a little

Ok, some of you know that I have been searching for some good diving books to read for a couple of months. I have been going into book stores and inquiring about books about diving... not diving for dummies. All they could show me was a couple of books teaching me how to dive. They said they could order me some if I had names. I finally posted the question here and got a great response... of course. Well, today I took my list into books a million to have them order me some. When the the guy punched "the last dive" into his computer he says "Oh, we have this one in stock, let me show you." (I HAVE ASKED THIS VERY SAME PERSON FOR THIS TYPE OF BOOK BEFORE) He takes me to a part of the nature section and low and behold there's a whole shelf of books about diving and the coral reefs!!! HELLO!!! Did he not know that section existed a month ago. It's not like I didn't explain clearly what I was looking for I just didn't have a name of the book. I mean I work in retail and there are some products that I don't know if we carry, but there is not a whole section of product in my store that I haven't seen before. ARRRGGGHHHH. The frustration... Oh, well at least I didn't have to wait for it to come in.

Jessica

I have found diving books scattered in some strange places as well, including the historical section.

Crispy once bubbled...
My favorite books-(charges)-a-million story is when I purchased several books on sale (10% off) only to find that the sale sticker was placed over the mfg's. price and the sale price was actually higher that the suggested retail price. what a royal rip.

-Crispy

My favorite book store is in an outlet mall. I have picked up some great books for a fraction of the MSRP. Saw The Last Dive there for $5 or $10 bucks.

Shame it's an hour and a half away from me tho ;-0

raxafarian once bubbled...
try the library. Even my tiny local library is linked to a ton of other libraries throughout CT. They gave me a webpage to search online, order online,etc from home and whichever library has them will ship them to the local one, who then calls me. Usually takes 7-10 days.

just a thought. I'd have to start robbing banks if I had to buy all the books I read.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of libraries have VHS tapes for rent as well. I let my mother borrow my book "The Terrible Hours" about the downed submarine "Squalus" and a few weeks later she told me that she found a movie based on it at the local library.

I haven't seen it yet, but a few dive buddies and myself plan to have a get together some weekend and watch it.

Last edited:
I'm reading a great book now called "Submerged". It's about a branch of the National Parks Service that does underwater archeology. You can get it at Amazon and you won't have to worry about poor service.

My favorite books-(charges)-a-million story is when I purchased several books on sale (10% off) only to find that the sale sticker was placed over the mfg's. price and the sale price was actually higher that the suggested retail price. what a royal rip.

-Crispy

try the library. Even my tiny local library is linked to a ton of other libraries throughout CT. They gave me a webpage to search online, order online,etc from home and whichever library has them will ship them to the local one, who then calls me. Usually takes 7-10 days.

just a thought. I'd have to start robbing banks if I had to buy all the books I read.

Back
Top Bottom