My Experience with Club Med, Columbus Isle, Bahamas...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from a week at Columbus Isle. Really liked the diving. I am puzzled by a marine biology question-why so few total fish? Water quality is great! Fish variety seems really good. Total fish count was way below other places I've been. I remember it being this way before lion fish, as well. Many, many coneys on every dive site. They are predators and may pick off a sizable number of the fish fry. There were also plenty of grouper (mostly Nassau and tiger). I was truly amazed at the number of lion fish. Expected to see a few, but not an average of 3+ per dive and as many as 7 on one dive. They are eerily beautiful.

Attachments

• Lion Fish 1.jpg
    Lion Fish 1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Lion Fish 2.jpg
    Lion Fish 2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 68
I was there (diving with Riding Rock) in February. I found it rather heavily fished, with especially few food fish. But I was not surprised by the lack of fish population as compared to many Caribbean sites. There are, however, fewer species of fish N. of the Caribbean in the Bahamas, so you see slightly less in the way of variety. (Lionfish: my partner counted each dive, was about like your numbers. Riding Rock previously removed them to reduce numbers locally, but present dive manager does not do that.) See May 2009 Undercurrent (undercurrent.org) for more.

I was there (diving with Riding Rock) in February. I found it rather heavily fished, with especially few food fish. But I was not surprised by the lack of fish population as compared to many Caribbean sites. There are, however, fewer species of fish N. of the Caribbean in the Bahamas, so you see slightly less in the way of variety. (Lionfish: my partner counted each dive, was about like your numbers. Riding Rock previously removed them to reduce numbers locally, but present dive manager does not do that.) See May 2009 Undercurrent (undercurrent.org) for more.

But it's not a fished area. In fact, attempts at commercial fishing have resulted in local divers (from both Club Med and Riding Rock, I presume) going out and destroying the large fish traps. They are now part of the underwater landscape with all occupants released.

Club Med DMs told us that they continued to spear lionfish. As for other predators, we saw quite a few Nassau grouper (some very large) and even more tiger groupers.

Great pics Eric! I have a buddy, Eric Labelle that works at Columbus. He was at Turkoise when we were there, and they were remodeling Columbus.
n1069508861_1372636_9733.jpg

Although we dove at Turkoise a few days, we ended up going off property and diving with Caicos Adventures. Club Med was too structured, limited us to 45 minutes no matter what, and did not have Nitrox. Of course what is the use with 45 min max. Plus the west side of the island was MUCH clearer, and the wall was awesome around French Cay.

Some people asked about the atmosphere, and I was very pleased with the staff, other guests, and activities. The food was great as well, white chocolate bread for everyone! If you want something you don't see, ASK! But greet properly, Good Morning/Afternoon, how are you? We are having a great time! Could you possibly make me an all white omlette?

We had a blast playing water volleyball every afternoon and drinking goombay smash. My wife was hit on a few times when I was not around. My response is I am blessed with a hottie wife! Once the bartender even mentioned that she was here with someone, and they all had a huge laugh over that. They do goofy stuff, like the staff plays, but what the heck! you will certainly laugh.

Not commercially fished, but by local folks with hawaiian slings and spear guns, who of course take the grouper (didnt you eat a lot of it there?). As for lots of grouper to see, Club Med DM's FEED the grouper to attract them to divers! I petted a couple Nassaus that darkened and approached us as soon as we came near. "Club Med wants a damn petting zoo," -- Bruce (DM at Riding Rock).

Not commercially fished, but by local folks with hawaiian slings and spear guns, who of course take the grouper (didnt you eat a lot of it there?). As for lots of grouper to see, Club Med DM's FEED the grouper to attract them to divers! I petted a couple Nassaus that darkened and approached us as soon as we came near. "Club Med wants a damn petting zoo," -- Bruce (DM at Riding Rock).

Yeah, I petted "Ted," too. As for feeding them, nope, not anymore! Not since one of the Club Med DM's was bitten by Ted about a month ago. LOL. I have never deliberately touched or tried to touch the underwater life. Ted was the exception because he behaved just like a dog...he wandered by, swam into my face, lifted his chin and wanted to be scratched there, then he followed us around for the rest of the dive.

"Club Med wants a damn petting zoo," -- Bruce (DM at Riding Rock).

Glad to see that Bruce is still around Riding Rock. He's too fun. Gotta get back out there sometime.

Back
Top Bottom