My fear of going DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
I've done about 100 dives since I got certified last May... Although I've got many more career dives. I've basically been diving since 1986, with maybe 100 dives in all those years, always with friends.

Yeah, I know... I was a statistic waiting to happen. But hey, I survived, if only because I was always too fearful of the unknown to leave the side of my certified buddies.

But when I found someone last May who cut me a "deal" on certification, I decided to take the class. This immediately freed up my concerns and I started to really dive.

I've gone a little overboard with it since then. I'm basically in the water at every opportunity, and I've blown many hundreds of dollars getting more and more dive education. I've been online here, on this board, since that time, and some of you may have noticed a little bit of a change.

It boils down to this... I found out about DIR and the tenants of the style soon after I earned my Open Water, but sorta "dismissed" them as silly and militant. I even used the "N" word. I found that while serious cave divers may need the tenants of DIR, I was more concerned with the real basics, like keeping my mask on and breathing properly. Heck, I was an "Open Water" diver, right? I figured that it'd be years before needing to concern myself with anything like DIR.

However, some things have happened to me along the way. Firstly, I seemed to be the only one in my classes concerned with things like proper weighting, trim, really good buoyancy, and air consumption. It wasn't hard to figure the advantages of these things... So why were'nt other people thinking along those lines like I was? I found that by my 10th dive, my breathing rate had dropped to nearly half of what it was when I started. I found myself wanting to simplify my gear immediately, and I quickly became the one diver that everyone could depend on to retrieve their dropped weight pockets, fins, and masks.

I even began to memorize my dive tables, and could generally place my pressure group without having to do the math. I knew a sort of "running tally" of my nitrogen levels, even before doing the math. People would begin to ask me what their pressure group was.

When I took my Advanced class, I think I was the only one who actually read the book, noting the "Advanced Diver's Rig" in the beginning of the book. By the time I took my Rescue class and got CPR and First Aid certified, I was beginning to get really curious about DIR, and finding out more information about it.

In short, from the beginning, I found myself going down the road to DIR... Without realizing that it was the DIR road. I was just looking for a better way to dive. The scary thihg that I was finding was that as I went along, my gear configuration was looking more and more DIR every day.

When it came time to purchase gear, (I'd spent all of my funds on diving, trips, and education), I had to really claim a philosophy on diving first... I mean, was I going to buy a jacket BC for doing shallow open water diving, or should I look at something that could support doubles and stage bottles? Did I need to purchase my own regulator? Could I rent a 7' hose? Did I even like that style of rig? $700 for a light? C'mon!

Curious, I rented a DIR-style rig last weekend, and loved a bunch of things about it... Although I wasn't totally sold. I also picked up the DIR Fundementals book and have decided to take the DIR class. I mean, heck, why not at least learn the stuff? But the more I am around it, the more I am finding that the people involved in DIR diving are more like me... And all the while, I find myself increasingly more frustrated with non-DIR people. I find myself shaking my head, thinking, "How the heck are you supposed to donate air with THAT thing?" "You know, it might help a little if you weren't hung over..." "Hey, that's not a 60fpm (or less) ascent..." "You ran out of air in 40' of water? How do you run out of air in 40' of water? Aren't you at least aware of your air supply?" "Would you please get your fins out of my face again?" The list goes on and on...

I'm not saying that non-DIR divers are bad divers... I'm just saying that I'm finding a level of expertise in these people, because of the tenants that they have been taught, that makes them a huge luxury to dive with... And the more I dive with people who have the DIR-taught capabilities, the more frustrating I find it diving with people who don't have not been taught them.

Case in point: One of the last dives I did, my entire dive was spent waiting on a line for another diver. We were in the water for five minutes before he signaled, "You... Stay... Me... Swim over there..." And that was the last I saw of him. I hung out, at his command, because he was the divemaster that day. Fifteen minutes later he came back, ready to dive, after having fixed some part of his rig. The whole dive was shallow enough that I hadn't depleted my air supply or bottom time, but a huge chunk of dive time was eaten up by some problem that he had. And I don't even want to mention the fact that neither of us were buddied up the entire 15 minutes he was gone. That's simply horrible. And a bad example for a divemaster.

I don't know that it's necessarily DIR that I'm attracted to... It's just the logic and professionalism and respect that I see in that group of divers. Things just make sense, and the more I dive, the more it makes sense.

...So why don't I simply decide to be DIR?

Well, let's be honest here... And it's going to be hard to really tell you why I'm so resistant... But I hope that you DIR guys can relate to this a little and "go easy" on the non-DIR guys next time...

1. The DIR guys seem to be pretty hardened. At least here on this board, a lot of the DIR stuff appears to be ego-driven, not unlike what you'd expect out of Air Force pilots or Navy Seals. There's a part of me that fears turning into what my perception is, whether it's correct or not. I wrote about that in another thread. Enough said.

2. Thankfully, I haven't spent too much on gear, but I'm afraid of ditching all of the gear I already own. For example, my Mares Quattros: I spent a lot of money and time in them, and I like them quite a bit. Every time I get into another fin, I miss my Quattros. Sure, DIR doesn't preach "no Quattros," but will I, in a year, end up Ebaying my Quattros for fins that I don't like just so that I can look like "standard issue?"

3. I smoke cigars. I love smoking cigars. I smoke about four or five a day. It's a nasty habit, and I know I need to quit while I still have both lungs. And it may seem silly, but I am sure that if I were to go DIR, I'd quit. Seems like a reason TO go DIR, doesn't it? Well... Sure... But I really, really like my cigars. Isn't that horrible?

4. I really, really like bacon double cheeseburgers, fries, and a coke or beer. Going DIR means to adopt all of the DIR tenants, and that means getting into better shape and taking care of my body better, especially through nutrition. I'm not horribly out of shape now, even though it may sound like it with my affection for cigars and cheeseburgers... I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs, and relatively muscular. I only need 6 lbs with a 3/2 mil on... I'm not terribly fat, although I miss my high school wrestling weight. Still, my point is that "going DIR" means a whole change, not just a few gear pieces. In other words, it would change my life... Which is great, right? Of course it is! Now if I could only convince myself of that...

5. I like computers. Computers like me. DIR does not preach "no computers," but they're frowned opon. I like them. I've dove with them before, and feel that they make for a nice backup set of numbers to tell you that you're on track... At least with non-deco diving. I haven't gotten into deco yet... But would like to, and I agree that when deco diving, a computer should be forfeited for a good bottom timer and a more rigid plan.

I dunno... I guess what I'm really saying here is that when I got into diving, I wanted a new hobby... A new sport... A new challenge and new fun. I have that now! I enjoy that now. I wasn't looking for it to change my whole life, but I'm finding that the best diving in the world is DIR diving. At least, that's why my own personal gear and lifestyle alterations (for the sake of diving) have begun to show. Amazing how all of my improvements and all end up right on the pages of the DIR book.

But I wasn't looking for a real lifestyle change. I wasn't looking for a desire which ate me up, every moment of every day. Yet, I have found it in DIR diving.

And so I'm fearful of making the next step. It's so... Committal. So life-altering. Which is good, right?

Hmmmm...

Wish I was in the water right now... And that's all I can think about. The whole DIR debate is so... Political. Yuck. Just put me in the water.

But not without a BC that works as well as a bp/wings, a donor air supply that is usable, a buddy that is aware and alert and capable, and a body that's properly nourished, strong, flexible, and equally capable. Hey, that sounds exactly like DIR!

Ugh.

I wanted a black mask because I didn't like the "shadows" on the inside of the glass caused by light leakage... Not to mention that the black silicone doesn't yellow over time. I also didn't like the annoying curtain of bubbles that were distracting in my periferal vision with a clear silione skirt. But I swear to you, I almost did not buy a black skirted mask because I thought it looked too DIR.

It was all downhill from there. :) I'm afraid of assimilation, but I can't help it.

How 'bout if I CLAIM to be DIW, but I still wear a bp/wing, Halcyon gear, black skirted mask, etc,,, Have perfect trim and buoyancy, THINK when I dive, be a reliable buddy who also considers me reliable, and stay in shape by eating right, cutting back or quitting smoking, and never diving beyond my capabilities... Can I do that? Is that "legal?" Can I go and do my own thing and dive the way I want, screw the fact that it's DIR, and still be classified as DIW?

What happens if I accept assimilation? :lol:

We... I mean, "I" really do need a secret handshake. I'll start a club called the "DIRSCTBDIW." ("DIR's claiming to be DIW.") Or maybe the "DIRSWCATTDIR." (DIR's who can't accept that they're DIR.")

I dunno.

Just throwin' some stuff out there.

If I go DIR, do I have to wear a Speedo?

And what's it like being vegitarian? The book didn't mention anything about being vegitarian. Yet, I've been thinking a lot about it recently.

I've also actually considered Yoga. Have I lost my mind?

Maybe some martial art... Thai Chi or Karate or something... Just to improve my diving.

Have I lost it?

SeaJay once bubbled...
Have I lost it?

Not at all...

It's good that you are open to new ideas, experiences, and ways of doing things. Just because you see the good in an idea, doesnt mean that you have to whole-heartedly embrace every concept of it.

As you noted, the DIR tenet was originally developed by/for more hardcore divers doing some serious stuff.

There are a lot of things that can be adopted from the DIR method that can benefit a lot of divers.

That middle ground is where I stand, and that is why I say that I am "Doing It Fundamentally Right."

If you would like to know more about the path I took, or a little bit of the information I found when doing the same kind of soul searching you did, shoot me a PM and I will forward it to you.

I don't know that it's necessarily DIR that I'm attracted to... It's just the logic and professionalism and respect that I see in that group of divers. Things just make sense, and the more I dive, the more it makes sense.

I think that you have kind of answered your own question. What you’re looking for is a group of divers that take diving seriously. Going DIR is one way, but you don’t have to be DIR to be serious about diving. There were good divers, and groups of good divers around, before the marketing machine of DIR was activated; I suspect they’ll still be around after DIR is forgotten.

When you unquestionable accept the tenants of others you give something up; I’m not willing to do so, even to join a group of serious divers. And maybe I’m lucky as I’ve learned I don’t have to, to do so.

Mike

P.S. Yet another good post!

something that appeals to your sense of logic.

If you want to use DIR as a reason to drop some unhealthy lifestyle habits, improve your diving efficiency, provide some distinction between yourself and the day-glo attired reef thrashers, I see no reason not to try it.

If you find it's not satisfactory, you can always go back...or CAN you? <insert theme from The Twilight Zone here...>

You could ask: Does it Matter what other people think?

Now does it matter that you go on the internet and say that your are DIR or not??????

Take what makes sense to you, and leave the rest behind. (or at least try to find out why it "doesn't" make sense to you). You do not have to accept DIR "blind" (you could make an arg that could be considered DIW)

Are the "DIR" people on the net really DIR??? (or are they just farting in the wind, Check rec.scuba for an indication of what I mean about this, rule 1b: person with bad attitude:wink:)

You really only need to answer to yourself.

DIR has good ideas (and I am trying to adopt them when I am able, but some ideas have a cost associated with them, so I guess you could say that I am DICE ....Doing it Cost Effective).

SeaJay,

I'll let you in on a little secret that Cave Diver touched upon, and Jeff G, since he beat me to post.

You want to be a better diver, right? But you also enjoy doing other things, Right?

Do you want to be an ace Air Force fighter pilot or a Navy Seal? Will you be going on these types of missions?

DIR is a good diving concept. They use some stuff they created along with others they have borrowed from others. Tells you something? Also like any other organization or philosophy it demands adherance to certain rules to be a true member.

If you want to join the club for whatever reason, go ahead, nothing wrong with it. But you don't need to be DIR to be an excellent diver.

The best divers learn a little here and a little there. No one has a monopoly on best.

The good thing about DIR is that with all the noise they create, some of it actually backfiring on them in my opinion, they are raising awareness in recreational divers for the need to improve their skills. For this, more power to them.

Make your own decisions. Don't worry what the loud mouths who see no fault in themselves only in others say.

I can relate a lot to what you have to say. Recently I have been looking at getting my own gear (I mainly use what we have at school). I am really getting interested in the sport side of diving...not the recreational side. I've been diving for a little over three years now. Although I don't have a lengthy log book (I'm a few short of 100) I know I want to venture down certain paths. The idea of going through the engine compartment of a sunken vessel gets my adrenaline rushing.

I do want to learn what the best in the world are out there doing day in and day out. Why? They're stilll doing it. I think the most important thing about DIR is the philosiphy of putting yourself in the position that you are the most comfortable. They have gear configurations for logical reasons...you are beginning to realize that, and so am I. I've always had a jacket style BC, hell until last year, I didn't know what a back inflate BC looked like.....now I want something that functions in that manner. Until recently, I didn't know they made hoses longer than the one I've always dove with....on my ocot....my first reasction was damn....that's like the 25 foot jumper cables I had behind the seat of the old truck (long story). you don't have to have them...but it sure is nice when you need them. Little things like that have been catching my attention.

As for the physical side...Do you have to give up your cigars, cheesburgers, and cold beer???? God knows I'm wouldn't. I'll be the first to tell you I love a juicy steck and a cold beer. Anyone telling me I can't have that won't be a good friend of mine for long. Does that mean I det hammered before hitting the water in the morning...no, does it mean I have a cold beer now and again when camping overnite at the dive site....yes. The whole idea about DIR is do what's best...but my take would be to do what's best, but don't sacrafice the good things in life either. O.K. enough of my ramblin...

Hey Seajay;

DIR is well founded and well thought out. They have great ideas and take this sport very very seriously. You are not going to go wrong learning all about that style of diving. By the same token, English sump divers have a great safety record but dive in a very different (non-DIR) equipment configuration due to the conditions and environment in which they dive. There is stuff to learn from them as well.

You will have to make decisions about what to add to your diving in equipment, gear, attitude, and lifestyle from DIR and any others that you meet. Hogarthian is great, Fitness and mental attitude is greate, 7 ft hoses are great. Me, I like an extra cutting device because I do wreck diving in an area with lot of monofiliment (a problem not found in caves)

At the end of the day, you are the one who is putting your life on the line. Do what is best for you and your dives BUT MAKE SURE YOU AND THOSE WHO DIVE WITH YOU COME BACK!!!

It's good to see that someone actually tried DIR instead of just writing it off as useless. If everyone gave DIR a try, they would probably find that they like it.

SeaJay once bubbled...
1. The DIR guys seem to be pretty hardened. At least here on this board, a lot of the DIR stuff appears to be ego-driven, not unlike what you'd expect out of Air Force pilots or Navy Seals. There's a part of me that fears turning into what my perception is, whether it's correct or not. I wrote about that in another thread. Enough said.

I don't really get that impression, ego gets you killed anyway. You can still be DIR and not be a jerk. I think some DIR guys come off this way because they really feel like they have found the best system.

2. Thankfully, I haven't spent too much on gear, but I'm afraid of ditching all of the gear I already own. For example, my Mares Quattros: I spent a lot of money and time in them, and I like them quite a bit. Every time I get into another fin, I miss my Quattros. Sure, DIR doesn't preach "no Quattros," but will I, in a year, end up Ebaying my Quattros for fins that I don't like just so that I can look like "standard issue?"

Remeber, you can always just buy a piece at a time. I had to replace basically every piece of equiptment I own. DIR means never settling for second best when it comes to gear.

3. I smoke cigars. I love smoking cigars. I smoke about four or five a day. It's a nasty habit, and I know I need to quit while I still have both lungs. And it may seem silly, but I am sure that if I were to go DIR, I'd quit. Seems like a reason TO go DIR, doesn't it? Well... Sure... But I really, really like my cigars. Isn't that horrible?

If DIR will help you make some positive changes, go for it. Smoking doesn't mix with diving, DIR or not. You can do it.

4. I really, really like bacon double cheeseburgers, fries, and a coke or beer. Going DIR means to adopt all of the DIR tenants, and that means getting into better shape and taking care of my body better, especially through nutrition. I'm not horribly out of shape now, even though it may sound like it with my affection for cigars and cheeseburgers... I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs, and relatively muscular. I only need 6 lbs with a 3/2 mil on... I'm not terribly fat, although I miss my high school wrestling weight. Still, my point is that "going DIR" means a whole change, not just a few gear pieces. In other words, it would change my life... Which is great, right? Of course it is! Now if I could only convince myself of that...

Me to. I have about the same build you do and am trying to cut up a bit. You can still have some nasty fast food every now and then, just not every day. Again, if it's a positive change, why not?

5. I like computers. Computers like me. DIR does not preach "no computers," but they're frowned opon. I like them. I've dove with them before, and feel that they make for a nice backup set of numbers to tell you that you're on track... At least with non-deco diving. I haven't gotten into deco yet... But would like to, and I agree that when deco diving, a computer should be forfeited for a good bottom timer and a more rigid plan.

I dive a computer too. But, I always plan the dive using conventional means just in case. As long as you don't rely on the computer, I don't see a problem for rec diving.

I wasn't looking for it to change my whole life, but I'm finding that the best diving in the world is DIR diving.
Hmmmm...

Exactly, DIR does change your life...for the better. If people will give DIR a chance, I think that most would come to this conclusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom