My First Aquarium Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txmanager

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I had an interesting dive today. My dad and I are volunteer divers for Sea Center Texas in Lake Jackson. It's a small aquarium run by Texas Parks and Wildlife. Today was our first dive. Spent about 45 minutes cleaning the walls and windows of the Gulf Tank. They have a pretty good selection of fish including Nurse Sharks, Drum, Goliath Grouper and Snapper. The Sharks are very friendly and like to come check you out now and then. The Grouper is new to the tank. It's a replacement to the 300 pounder that died earlier this year. The new guy is still a little weary of us fish that walk and breathe air.
There are 2 other tanks to dive in. The Gulf Tank is the only 1 two divers can enter. The others are solo. All of them are about 9' deep. They use Hookah hoses there. Haul the tank up to the entry point and throw the hose over. It was a pretty fun experience. Nice to be able to get up close to the creatures in a controlled environment like that.

Attachments

• Cleanin' Rocks.jpg
    Cleanin' Rocks.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Brandon--How often do you get to dive there? It sounds really cool !

Brandon--How often do you get to dive there? It sounds really cool !

I haven't heard of any limits or requirements. It's on a volunteer basis. They request about a week's notice before volunteer work. They'll tell you what needs to be done. Really nice folks there. I grew up in Lake Jackson and have visited the place since it opened. It's pretty cool to see the inner workings.

Great post! As a science person (educator) and volunteer for other agencies/groups, I understand your excitement. Sounds like a LOT of fun and a great way to learn. Way to go!

There are 2 other tanks to dive in. The Gulf Tank is the only 1 two divers can enter. The others are solo.

SOLO DIVING? You have to dive SOLO??? I heard you'd die if you did solo dives... :D

Seriously though, sounds like a lot of fun and an excellent chance to learn new stuff.

we were just there labor day weekend!! we even talked to your dad somewhat about cleaning the tanks!! (he mentioned that he and his son did it).

more pics: Picasa Web Albums - Jeff - Mammoth Lake

Attachments

• IMG_1882.JPG
    IMG_1882.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1889.JPG
    IMG_1889.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 30
SOLO DIVING? You have to dive SOLO??? I heard you'd die if you did solo dives... :D

Seriously though, sounds like a lot of fun and an excellent chance to learn new stuff.

Ha! I'd love to see 2 divers try to get into one of the smaller tanks.:D Key word being "see" as in "from the window". Monkey + football!

we were just there labor day weekend!! we even talked to your dad somewhat about cleaning the tanks!! (he mentioned that he and his son did it).

Interesting. When did you see my Dad? We were at Mammoth Monday morning. Did I see you and not know it?

Cleaning up fish poop never sounded like so much fun ... until we see it in pictures! Great job Brandon. Sounds like something I'd like to do even ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom