My first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeynl

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but since my requirements are different, I'll ask the same question again: I have been diving for a while now and since I wanna do an instructor course, I think it's time to get a BCD. My requirements:

- not too expensive!
- I only dive in warm (tropical) water,
- preferably light weight, cos I tend to just dive when on a vacation,
- I have dived with about a dozen different schools, and I rental gear has never felt uncomfortable, so I'm not too worried about the right "fit". They were all pretty standard ones.

What should I get? What to lok out for?

Thanks!

Since you just dive when on vacation in warm waters, I would suggest a lightweight travel BCD, but since you want to do an instructor course, you may need one with more options.

Purchased my first BCD 5 years ago: Aqua Lung Zuma with 4 d-rings and 1 pocket, 4.4 lbs. Can pack it flat or roll it. Also have the Aqua Lung Airsource 3 and Mikron regulator to go with it. Feel good everytime I travel with my buddy as he is lugging around a heavy carryon just for his gear and most of my gear is in my carryon with clothes.

I know this isn't responsive to your question, but if you only dive occasionally on vacation, why do you want to take an instructor course? Do you think you have enough depth and breadth of diving experience, and sufficient skill, to teach others?

I don't think there is anything specific you need in a BC to be an instructor, except I'd probably opt for a bit more lift than the absolute minimum. It is often a good idea for an instructor to carry a few extra pounds they can hand off to students.

Thanks John. I actually went to a shop today, and found a vest that felt really good, but when I looked online I found a recall warning. And now I checked the Zuma and found this: Aqua Lung Recalls Buoyancy Compensators Due to Drowning Hazard | CPSC.gov. I guess they must have solved this problem now?

TsandM: I live in Europe but only dive and only want to dive in tropical waters. Diving here is just too cold for me. I have done a 2 month DM internship last year, and am looking into doing a 3 months dive instructor internship this year. After that I would like to move to Asia or the Caribbean. Regarding the extra weight: I have done that several times during my time as a DMT and never had the feeling that I was anywhere near the max load of the BCD.

buy regulators, rent bc, or just buy something cheap and used. you'll need something closer to your actual diving needs when you get there. Alternatively a kydex rig from DSS travels very well and weighs basically nothing, but some shops won't take it if you're teaching for them.

mikeynl - that recall notice is nearly 2 years old and only affects the weight pockets. The earlier design used a material on the integrated weight pockets ("SureLock" pockets) that would cause the handle to separate from the rest of the pocket. So you could end up in a situation where you try to dump weight in an emergency, pull the handle off your weight pocket and now you're stuck with weights you can't drop.

I had a Aquqlung ProHD BCD at the time which was affected by the recall and it was a simple case of swapping the old pockets for the new ones (now called "SureLock II") via a dealer for no cost. They will even swap the pockets if you're not the original purchaser. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them now - the weight pocket materials were redesigned and that was the end of it. I swapped my ProHD for a Halcyon BPW setup and I still dive with the guy who bought my old BCD. He's got a couple hundred dives with the new "SureLock II" pockets and no problems - they are great BCDs.

Posting from my iPad, please excuse unfortunate iCorrects.

Thanks John. I actually went to a shop today, and found a vest that felt really good, but when I looked online I found a recall warning. And now I checked the Zuma and found this: Aqua Lung Recalls Buoyancy Compensators Due to Drowning Hazard | CPSC.gov. I guess they must have solved this problem now?

Problem solved!

that recall notice is nearly 2 years old and only affects the weight pockets. The earlier design used a material on the integrated weight pockets ("SureLock" pockets) that would cause the handle to separate from the rest of the pocket. So you could end up in a situation where you try to dump weight in an emergency, pull the handle off your weight pocket and now you're stuck with weights you can't drop.

I just saw the recall a few days ago. Mine was purchased in 2010, so I have to take mine in. Fortunately I've never had to try and dump any weight, but haven't had any problem after dives taking the weight out. I look at it as a free update!

Just as an update: I called the dive shop I purchased my Zuma BC from to see about replacing the SureLock weight pockets. Took pockets in and all that is replaced is the rubber grip part that is attached to plastic. The new rubber grip is attached to a polypropylene fabric strap. The worry was that the rubber would crack where it could flex around the plastic. Took less than two minutes to replace.

All is good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom