My first dive!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rotorboy

Reaction score
Well…..this past weekend was one I've been looking forward for the past 15+ years. The start of my diving log!!! Sat. morning started off with basic classroom instructions which seemed to drag since I just wanted to hurry up and get in the water. The pool session was fun. Started off swimming some laps and treading water for a while. Soon after…the moment had come. As I geared up, thoughts just raced through my head as I really didn't know what to expect. As I took that first breath I realized what a mistake I had made. I was instantly hooked!!! No way was I ever going to stop now. What a high it was!! Sunday was spent down at Deleon Springs in Florida. I had one little episode, but I really think that it was a good one. Made me realize that I was able to stop myself before I began to panic and control my breathing. Started off at 20 ft below when my instructor had me take off the mask. Skill which I had no problems doing the day prior in the pool. As I started to clear it I realized that I couldn't get a good seal. I inhaled through nose and all hell was about to brake lose. I just kept inhaling short breaths, but I couldn't exhale. My eyes were still shut cause I had contacts on and also I knew that if I opened them up it would just make things worse by looking at how far I was from the surface. That's when I felt my instructors hand on my shoulder. Made me aware that I wasn't there alone. At that point I took my hands away from my face and concentrated on breathing. Soon I relaxed and cleared the mask w/o a problem. I'm really just glad that something like this happened and I was able to overcome and get back in for our second dive of the day. Which of course he had me clear the mask again. Lol…took a few minutes before I stripped it off, but I knew I had to do it!!! He gave me confidence just by drilling in my head that as long as I have the reg. in my mouth, I'll be ok! I'm looking forward to this coming weekend. We're going to West Palm for my first ocean dive. Sorry for such a long story. I'm just to hyped I feel like I have to tell the world. This is going to be a long week!!!!

Rotorboy-

Feeling the same way as you - just now getting certified after several years of meaning to do it. "Caught the bug," or so they say, and I don't think I'll ever stop. Good luck, and enjoy the ocean dive - sounds fun.

NSDiver:
Rotorboy-

Feeling the same way as you - just now getting certified after several years of meaning to do it. "Caught the bug," or so they say, and I don't think I'll ever stop. Good luck, and enjoy the ocean dive - sounds fun.
Congrats 2 u. My girl friend and I just finished our ope h2o class and cert this weekend. We did 9 dives total in 2 days was great. First day was spent dong 3 dives and all skill work, so ot much excitement , ut the second day after our last official class dive it was Katie bar the door lol. We had a really great weekend. If any of ya get the chance go to Lake Rawlings in Rawlings, VA. It is a rock quarry that is 65 ft deep and clear as crystal. WQ are headed back with our lds next month for more excitement and exploring, cant wait.

congrats, i had a problem taking off the mask to but after time and time again of doing it you will be fine and will beable to take it off with no problem and be completely colum. hope you have a good time on your first sea dive. do the mask removal in the salt water and feel the burn.

Congrat and it sounds like you had a great time. Keep up the good work and remeber it only gets more fun as you get more experience.

Tim

Have a great time, it only gets better. Don't feel bad about the 15 years, I waited at least 30 too many. It's a gentle sport done right so you have lots of time to enjoy yourself.

Pete

Awesome to hear! Just one word of advice. Keep practicing the skills you learned in the pool sessions and so forth. They WILL come in handy on your first few post-cert dives.

Hey good luck!
Hooked yep! you live in the right state to dive in,The springs are a blast in the winter,heck any time! and Atlantic is a sweet dive!
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom