My First Octopus...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been in this province danged near a year, and I've finally seen my first Octopus!

I'm pretty sure I've found several dens before (Crab Carnage around cracks) but finally this time I found the Octo.. Or at least a small portion of him.. That was a couple weeks ago, we finally got back in the water again and I managed to get a photo of the same Octo.. And the same amount of him was visible... It was hard to get a good photo, especially with the wide-angle lens on.

Now I've just gotta try and find one NOT hiding... I think more night diving is in order.

Well, congratulations on your octo! The vast majority of the ones I've seen have been tucked back in a hole somewhere -- finding one out in the open is quite a treat. They are such interesting and intelligent animals.

Congrats on your first octopus!

If you're looking to see one cruising around in the open, your best bet (in my experience) is a night dive at Caulfield Cove or under the dock at Porteau. My logbook says that 4 of of 5 dives at either of those spots will yield at least one little red octopus tooting around.

Happy searching!

I always get lucky at Furry Creek. Saw a juvenile out and about wandering up and down a crack about a month back in broad daylight around 70' or so. Watched it for about 10 minutes before we decided to head back to shore. During that dive, we saw 2 others stuffed up inside their dens. A couple weeks after that, we saw a massive octo inside its den just below the start of the wall around 60'. There's a big guy I've seen a couple times at Porteau, too.

My buddy and I saw our first Octo at Porteau on Saturday during our first dive hiding inside its den. We spotted another one in a separate den on our second dive. Very good day of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom