My first post certification cave diving trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great report and glad to hear you had a good time.

I'm a little biased but have to defend some of us CCR divers -- there are some really OUTSTANDING CCR cave divers out there (of which I am not -- but I am hoping to be one someday).

By the way, how'd you like the Cadillac? I always stay there. I've heard it described as "mid century modern" -- Yeah, it probably looked pretty modern in 1950!

Doug

Our room was at least on par with the Country Inn, the faucet leaked; but other than that no complaints at all.

I had to move my car on the grass to get a mixed century image - the old and the new.

My CCR comment was based on the fact that it appeared to me that so many of the CCR divers seemed to have the money but not necessarily the diving technique as evidenced by their buoyancy control etc. and I am not one to be casting stones at this point.

Great report and glad to hear you had a good time.

I'm a little biased but have to defend some of us CCR divers -- there are some really OUTSTANDING CCR cave divers out there (of which I am not -- but I am hoping to be one someday).

By the way, how'd you like the Cadillac? I always stay there. I've heard it described as "mid century modern" -- Yeah, it probably looked pretty modern in 1950!

Doug

We had no objectives on any dive. I was diving 6ths, no jumps and only the max depth at Little River was any sort of concern and on that dive I turned the dive well before required - the first dive in each new cave for me is a bit stressful, so I take it super easy.

After each dive, we did anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes of in water surface deco just to relax before getting out of the water.

Just wondering what would bring you to ask the question?

NOTHING mean intended! - it was just such a great report kinda sounded like went beyond 6ths.

Jeff,

Thanks for posting such a great report. Sounds like those were fantastic dives. Peacock is so relaxing, its one of my favorite places.

I think a lot of cave divers have the jitters the first dive. I know I do. But after I'm in the water a while and cruising along the line I completely chill out and just enjoy being there. When it clicks, it really clicks, doesn't it? Mentally and physically you are in what I call "The Sweet Spot".

I dove to 1/6th my supply also for over a year at Basic level, and was content. Thank goodness I had very patient and more experienced dive buddies who never pressured me to exceed Basic limitations. Hey, I was thrilled just to get to the Park Bench in Devil's Ear on 6ths.

But at some point you may start to feel restricted by the limitations of Basic Cave Diver. That's the time to think about getting your Apprentice Cave. I did this last summer and WOW! It's like somebody unsnapped the clip and let me off my leash! You'll have even better dives, get to see more of the systems and finally get to make those coveted jumps you'll eye hungrily at Basic level.

I'm not ready to give up ocean diving, either. My license plate is "REEFNUT", so I get a lot of good-natured ribbing when I'm in FL cave country. But I am also seriously addicted to cave diving and squeeze in as much of both each year.

Have fun and keep diving safely!

(Peacock charges divers $10/day)
Get yourself a yearly Florida parks pass - $40 plus some change. It allows unlimited access to any caves in the parks system for the entire year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom