My first reg set -- MK 25/600, HOG D-1, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been awhile since I've visited this thread so here goes...

Hog Black Friday sales have the Edge EXP ( din or yoke balanced diaphragm with balanced and adjustable 2nd stage ) for $155.

I recently needed another regulator for a stage tank and was in a hurry so I bought a used ScubaPro MK20/S550 (yoke balanced piston with balanced 2nd ) for $150 from my LDS. The LDS had converted the MK20 to MK25 and serviced the whole thing.

So a new Edge or a used ScubaPro for the same price of $150ish. Both are not bad choices and I wouldn't knock anyone who chose one over the other.

DRIS has a D1 first for $115 IIRC. I'm rooting for a Duroc from Santa. Go hog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The SubGear 1000, SG - 1000, might just be the right reg. for you. It is very similar to the MK17, a high performance balanced diaphragm first stage, and the S600, a high quality easy to breath 2nd stage.

SubGear is the new less expensive line of Scubapro.

The SG - 1000 has a 30 year warranty instead of limited lifetime.

I have both the HOG regs and the MK25/S600 combo, and down to 150, I can't tell the difference between them.

HOG has the advantage that, if you get into tech diving, you can take a class to service your own regs. Frankly, if you are only going to own a single regulator set for single tank diving, I don't think that is going to mean very much to you. (We have 19 regs, and service adds up!) It has the disadvantage that, if you are traveling and need work done on the reg, there may not be anyone nearby who has ever seen one. This is unlike SP, where almost anyplace has seen those regs. However, in most cases, unless the repair is something like replacing an o-ring, you're generally just going to rent regs if yours fails, anyway.

The cost to value ratio on the HOG regs is very good.

I dont know many people that dive with any regularity at all that only have one set of regs. So, for MOST people I dont see that sending regs off to be repaired, or worrying about getting regs repaired while on a dive trip is much of a concern when, again MOST, people have a back up set of regs. IF those things really concern you then buy two sets of EDGE/HOG regs and have a spare and STILL have less money wrapped up in them than you would in one set of Scuba Pro regs (assuming you are buying them new).

I have over 125 dives on my HOGS and the only problems I have had thus far is one cracked diaphram in a second stage (probably my own fault) and a mouth piece that came up with a small cut in it right by wher it attaches (again, probably my fault or poor handling by one of the dive ops I was diving with).

Performance of any of the regs mentioned so far is probably going to be just fine and so the only real issues are value and cosmetics.

The SubGear 1000, SG - 1000, might just be the right reg. for you. It is very similar to the MK17, a high performance balanced diaphragm first stage, and the S600, a high quality easy to breath 2nd stage.

Not sure what you sell the SG1000 for but Leisure Pro has it at $539. DRIS has the Edge EXP for $155. At that price I could buy 3 regulators and still have $75 left over.

HOG HOG HOG
I have been diving for well over 20 years and thus far HOG regs are my fav. I have had SP, Apeks, Aqua Lung, Sherwood, Dacor and Cochran and so far HOG rules. Don't let the price fool you. They are built as good or better than the most expensive regs. My HOGs have operated flawlessly for many years.

If you go with the D1 first and second you will need at DIN to Yoke adaptor. You can also go the the HOG D1 second and use the Edge Epic first stage. The Epic comes either DIN or Yoke.

DRIS has some great deals right now that you can't beat. Servicing them via mail is not all that bad. As said in above post. Buy two and rotate sending them off so that you are never without gear.

HOG!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom