My first shark bite!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bikinibottom

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So.....I was gearing up for my weekly feeding dive at work yesterday & I decided (on a whim) to borrow a shorty :dork2: for the dive since I've been considering buying one. I suit up, purge the hooka, don my mask & gloves, grab the food bags and sink into my second home.

All is well, but I have one of those nagging "something is going to go wrong" feelings in the back of my head. I dismiss the "ESP" sensation as stress and a busy day and go about my business. The fish, sharks, rays & eels follow me to the display window....where I wave at the crowd, settle in on the bottom, nudge the trigger fish away from my booties (they attack your feet), pet the ray & sharks, and wait for all my fishy friends to settle down.

Everyone assumes their positions, I open the bags and the feeding proceeds. A piece of fish to you, stop biting my booties, and a piece of fish to you, oh here comes the eel, and a piece of fish to you, let go of my glove, and a piece of fish to you, get out of my hair, and a piece of fish to you.....and then it happens.....

.........One of our banded bamboo sharks latches on to my arm right below my gloves. OUCH!!!! :11: :11: :11: :11: Gut reaction is to jump up while screaming like a pansy, sissy girl and to beat the shark on the head until it lets go....gnawing, gnawing... But as I'm kneeling in front of the public & we are doing "our duty" to dispell the myths that sharks are....gnawing, gnawing....thoughtless killers, all I can do is sit there with this 3 foot shark....gnawing, gnawing....attached to my arm and wait. I wait, and I wait. I wait for what seems like an eternity, but I know it was less than 30 seconds. Finally, the gnawing stops & he lets me loose. And what does he get as his reward for letting me go? That's right....a piece of fish. :D

The rest of the dive proceeds as normal. Everyone's fed; everyone's happy. I vaccuum the substrate, I scrub the window....all the while thinking to myself....

"Do NOT buy the shorty. Do NOT buy the shorty. Wear your full suit, you idiot."

So now here I sit, nursing the world's biggest hickey on my arm, with the memory of the sensation of gnawing, gnawing...& wondering where my next "war wound" will be placed. Of course, my kids think I'm the coolest mom in the world because I survived a shark bite & they can't wait to tell all their friends. Of course, they don't care that it was a banded bamboo shark......they just know it was a SHARK. LOL.

A girl I used to know that worked at the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus got pinned against the window by a shark once. She stayed calm, but she said the people watching her were "wigging out"....LOL

Awesome report, BTW! :D

Just out of curiosity, you have less than 25 logged dives and you have a job at an aquarium? I checked the local Denver aquarium and they wanted no less than 100 logged dives, and a waiting list on top of that. I think you are way cool too, btw! I'd love to do that sort of gig....

I love your post!

Dave

Bikinibottom? I'm so NOT going there.

Come dive here on Catalina and see what the great white sharks will do! Seriously, sounds like the banded bamboo sharks have as dangerous a bite as our horn sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom