My first stonefish/demon stinger incident... ouch ouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow devon missed this lately and as I was diving this morning playng tug a war with octo I thought of you as I was thinking he might want to get his beak out.

Is it possible that if the venom got in a fish just before caught and ate it, would be severe as what your going through.

Andy, you took quite a hit! Is it possible that your extended illness was a reaction to the venom, versus the venom itself? In other words, like an allergic reaction to compound the problem?

I don't think it was an anaphylactic reaction, because other symptoms suggesting that weren't present. No swelling, constriction or discoloration/rash. Obviously, my breathing was shallow when my BP crashed, but I never had difficulty with respiration etc. I was on anti-biotics also, so infection was ruled out (also lack of fever after the initial 48 hour period).

I've suffered some moderate anaphylatic incidents sporadically over the last couple of years - until isolating the cause (cheap local bleach). It didn't feel much like those incidents.

The worst cardio-related symptoms didn't present until quite some time after the initial sting, which was weird. I had started upon some decongestant meds, as I came down with a bad cold directly after (<48hrs) the sting. Once the cardiac irregularities started, I immediately discontinued the decongestants. The irregularities persisted for a further 5-6 days at varying levels of severity - typically building into the 'peak' on the night my BP crashed... and then slowly recovering.

Arrythmia is listed as a symptom of the envenomation, but I couldn't find any specific details online which presented a timeline, expected duration or level of severity to expect.

My only symptom now (I think) is fatigue. I'd rate my energy levels at 20% compared to normal. Until the last 24 hours, my energy levels were persistently around 5% for many days.

I don't think it was an anaphylactic reaction, because other symptoms suggesting that weren't present. No swelling, constriction or discoloration/rash. Obviously, my breathing was shallow when my BP crashed, but I never had difficulty with respiration etc. I was on anti-biotics also, so infection was ruled out (also lack of fever after the initial 48 hour period).

I've suffered some moderate anaphylatic incidents sporadically over the last couple of years - until isolating the cause (cheap local bleach). It didn't feel much like those incidents.

LIKE! hearing this!

The worst cardio-related symptoms didn't present until quite some time after the initial sting, which was weird. I had started upon some decongestant meds, as I came down with a bad cold directly after (<48hrs) the sting. Once the cardiac irregularities started, I immediately discontinued the decongestants. The irregularities persisted for a further 5-6 days at varying levels of severity - typically building into the 'peak' on the night my BP crashed... and then slowly recovering.

Arrythmia is listed as a symptom of the envenomation, but I couldn't find any specific details online which presented a timeline, expected duration or level of severity to expect.

My only symptom now (I think) is fatigue. I'd rate my energy levels at 20% compared to normal. Until the last 24 hours, my energy levels were persistently around 5% for many days.

<Dislike> hearing this. Hope you recover fully soon!

Niceto hear that at least the really scary and painful parts of it seems to have subsided. For a strong young guy like you to be so fatigued, there must have been WWIII going on on the cellular level. Good thing that the good cells won!

Glad to hear you are on the mend, Andy. We are all sending you lots of positive healing thoughts!

I think many of us don't think past the initial reaction to the envenomation (swelling, pain, etc.) when these things happen.

Not being toxicologists we don't know how the poisons these creatures possess can have several far reacting & seemingly unrelated/random effects on our systems. For example, one of our dogs has (unfortunately) been envenomated by a pygmy rattlesnake on three separate occasions. The list of things to watch out for/treat for afterwards is astonishing.

Here's to your complete & swift recovery!

Any cardio medical work-up planned? I fear for some type of heart muscle damage from the incident. That fatigue scares me.....

get well, get strong!

I think many of us don't think past the initial reaction to the envenomation (swelling, pain, etc.) when these things happen.

I certainly didn't! I'd read a bunch of medical articles and all made reference to arrythmia as a symptom, but none explained beyond that. When the hot water treatment did a fantastic job of dealing with the localized symptoms (pain/swelling) I was celebrating! It was premature celebration.

Any cardio medical work-up planned? I fear for some type of heart muscle damage from the incident. That fatigue scares me.....

The fatigue is improving day-by-day, so I don't have plans for more in-depth testing as it stands. I probably should as a precaution, but I live in the Philippines and I've grown used to dodging the doctors where possible (very bad, I know). Of course, I can't dodge one doctor - my partner - and she is doing a good job of supervising me.

I've got a confined water/pool-only session on friday - nice and easy - will see how that pans out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom