My first stonefish/demon stinger incident... ouch ouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Ouch... just had my first stonefish/demon stinger sting. Bugger was hidden under the sand got me in the ring finger.

1 hour since the sting and have been broiling my hand in hot water since getting to shore. Pain rate about 9/10, but localized to the finger
I have badly broken my hand before... this is much more more painful.

Time to grow some balls and drink some Jack Daniels :)

Immersion in hot water (60celcius or above) is providing some relief and is the approved first aid. It seems to be helping.

Hazardous Marine Life - The 'Demon Stinger' - Video and Info Scuba Tech Philippines

Scuba Diving First Aid - Dangerous and Venomous Creatures - Indo-Pacific Region

Woah sorry to hear that!

I was videoing some clownfish in Bali and didn't realize a juvenile stonefish was right below my arm. Thankfully I didn't move down 2inches.. especially cause I didn't realize how bad it'd hurt till your post ha

Get well soon!

And you can still type! Very impressive!
He just started on the Jack Daniels. :D

The pain sounds horrible, but glad you survived. Some don't I've read.

Update:

Demon Stinger/Stonefish Sting - 3 hours with my hand immersed in very hot (at limits to endure) water has made a significant difference. Stiffness has eased considerably, minimal swelling, a little numbness and pain is now 2/10 (a persistent, moderately painful localized ache), no other symptoms presented after 4 hours from envenomation. Now discontinuing hot water immersion - shall see how it develops. 30 minutes so far, no re-occurrence yet. Will have to schedule some anti-biotics and a tetanus shot asap, as there is significant incidence of secondary infection, occasionally leading to creeping necrosis.

I've got a high pain threshold... but thinking I got away with this lightly (so far).

Tip: Make the water as hot as you can stand (probably gonna be around 45 Celsius). After a minute or two to adjust, add more hot water to raise the temperature further. It doesn't feel like you're scalding yourself that way. Ideally water should be over 60 Celsius. The hotter the better...and for as long as you can.

Tip: I elevated the wound (finger) continually until I could put it into hot water. This may have made a difference...and help keep the venom localized to the wound.

This is what stung me:

DemonStinger.jpgdemon-stinger3.jpg5714678749_4217d6d929.jpg6267757091_4d10528f60_z.jpg

Also might want a tetnus booster. Good luck and if more pain killer is needed (Jack Daniels) I may be able to send some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom