My first stonefish/demon stinger incident... ouch ouch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Research is great, but can you get to a good doctor wherever you are?

I've got one waiting at home. :wink: Will probably go home tomorrow and get some jabs and pills. There's a few clinics/med centres around Subic - but not sure what experience, if any, they'd have with marine life injuries/envenomation. Quality of medical care is very variable here.

Devon what was it that made you touch the sand?

It's so silky! I just can't resist! :D

seriously... Just brushed the sand with the top of my finger, when hovering over to point out a decorator crab to my divers (think 7x ultra-eager Chinese with cameras). My hand was just relaxed/hanging (too low!) under my torso, holding a finger reel I had just pulled from my pocket for deployment of DSMB... other hand pointing out the crab.. I was hovering horizontal about 25cm off the bottom (normal for me when critter spotting).

Good job I got stung, otherwise one of my customers would certainly have hit it... possibly a more serious sting, in a more critical area... because their buoyancy was "not so hot".

Bugger was hidden under the sand

You know, an internet friend of mine has written a series of articles on a buoyancy masterclass that might help . . . :)

Glad to hear that you found a way to treat it. Do be careful with very hot water, though; hand burns are no joke.

Provided burns aren't caused... hotter is better though? In respect of de-naturing the venom? Or is there actually some benefits to cooler temperatures?

My understanding is indeed hotter is better (to a limit, of course) provided that burns don't result.

However, be aware that water at 60 Celcius can cause partial thickness burns in ~5 seconds and full thicknesss burns in ~10 seconds. At 55 Celcius, partial thickness burns can occur in ~30 seconds. See --> Hot Water – How Hot Is Too Hot? | Heating Information by 1800AnyTyme

Regards,

DocVikingo

My understanding is indeed hotter is better (to a limit, of course) provided that burns don't result.

However, be aware that water at 60 Celcius can cause partial thickness burns in ~5 seconds and full thicknesss burns in ~10 seconds. At 55 Celcius, partial thickness burns can occur in ~30 seconds. See --> Hot Water – How Hot Is Too Hot? | Heating Information by 1800AnyTyme

That's interesting. I made the initial water hot enough to stand - then added more hot water as I got used to it. Reading the articles I mentioned, I hadn't considered the issue of localized numbness leading to burns because of decreased sensation. As it was still mostly localized pain in the finger, I got a fairer indication from the rest of my hand though. Nonetheless, I'd agree that caution is a good thing. The amount of pain caused by the sting is enough to make 'broiling' seem like a good idea.

You know, an internet friend of mine has written a series of articles on a buoyancy masterclass that might help . . .

The same person also posted video and information on his Blog specifically warning about this creature. What a dumbass he must be! :wink:

Along the same lines, I was stung by a lion fish a few years ago. An act of immense stupidity. I was cleaning my fish tank and zap. I had to get a piece of spine removed from my thumb. Thumb was double normal size. Gave the doctors at the local emergency room some "light relief" from their humdrum daily stuff. As you say, the pain was unbelievable and it took many weeks to settle down and left me with a interesting scar.

I believe that Jack Daniels (black label, and only in true emergencies green label) can be applied topically..... Single barrel is for internal use only....

Feel better!

Still suffering some after-effects.

Venomation +36 hours. Came down with cold/flu-like symptoms on waking-up 36 hours after the sting. Strong head cold, shivering, sore throat etc.

Very little localized pain and only slight swelling on the hand concerned.

Cancelled planned dives and made the 4 hours bus trip home to Manila yesterday afternoon running a low fever.

Venomation + 48 hours. Tried to sleep last night, but kept awake mostly by a slight arrhythmia and heart palpitations. Initially thought the palpitations were due to decongestant medications - discontinued those, but the symptoms persist over 18 hours later.

Resting in bed at the moment and dosed with anti-biotics to make sure it isn't an infection. Tetanus inoculation is only 2 years old.

Either the venom wiped out my immune system and led to an immediate dose of cold/flu and/or there's still some systemic effect from the toxin.

Hey DD, hope you're feeling better and life is getting back to normal. Just hadn't seen an update in a while, here's to hoping that's because you're out diving again.

-E

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom