My first underwater picture with D70/ Sea and Sea housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lighting looks fine to me but the blurry upper left quadrant is distracting. Likely a result of the slow shutter speed?

Dee, I am not sure what happen to the upper left cornor. If it is blurry due to motion, I assume that the whole picture would too. The shutterspeed was a bit slow. I think I was getting old and did not realize that I was at 1/20 s. Will take me a while to get use to see all the tiny numbers in the viewfinder with my squinty eyes :)

Bigmike00:
SSRA, Nice pic. How do you like the camera and housing? I bought a D70 when it first came out and love the camera. I currently use a Nikon F100 in a Sea and Sea housing and love it. Do you like the housing???

I checked it out at the Scuba Show in Long Beach, CA 2 weeks ago and like it.

What are the ups and downs to the housing and the camera UW??

So far I really like the Sea and Sea housing except for the price. Also I had to buy all the ports as well as I did not have any so the initial cost was quite high.
I am not familiar with other SLR housing so I am not sure how to compare it too. One button that the housing does not have
is the auto/manual switch in front of the camera. However the AF-L button on the back is accessible so it is ok for macro work. Otherwise so far so good but I only have 3 dives so far with it. I should have a lot more dive wiht it in a few weeks.

I'm told that there are only 2 housings that will allow for TTL, one being the SeaCam? (the expensive one) and the other Light & Motions using their ROC...
None of the others have it, this would be for the D-100... or so I'm told...
haven't verified it yet...

I was looking at housings too, and figured the L&M was looking good, small and using the TTL...... unfortuanately can't handle them all as would be nice before buying..

Next buy yourself the DX 10.5 mm lense with a dome port. Its Great and only around $700.00

I shot the attached photo with a D100, Aquatica Housing, 10.5 mm Nikon Dx, and used 23 watt HID lights for the exposure.

Dee:
Lighting looks fine to me but the blurry upper left quadrant is distracting. Likely a result of the slow shutter speed?

Dee,

The blurry parts may be a function of things being out of the depth of field. On my 105 mm, even at f/32 there's a very tight range on what's in focus the closer to 1:1 you get, and ssra had the lens set to 110 mm at f/32. Looks like her shot is about 1:1.5 or so from similar shots I've taken and the blurred parts are the anemone foreground and the sloping sand/rubble background.

Hmmm...that photo's gone now. I think I considered the DOF but it didn't seem constant at the same plane...make sense?

BTW...ssra is a HE!

Yep, makes sense. I think I see a second shooter on the knoll, too.....

And DOH! Thanks for the correction, and sorry, ssra, for the unintentional label. Mea culpa.

fpoole:
I'm told that there are only 2 housings that will allow for TTL, one being the SeaCam? (the expensive one) and the other Light & Motions using their ROC...
None of the others have it, this would be for the D-100... or so I'm told...
haven't verified it yet...

To the best of my knowledge, for D70, Aquatica claimed that they will have a TTL compatible housing for it. Ikelite is also working on it but is not promising anything concrete just yet.
As far as I know ROC only allow you to control the strobe from the buttons on the handle. Does it also let you do TTL?

Most SLR housing will let you do TTL but the newer dSLR such as D100, D70, Digital Rebel etc use different kind of TTL such as i-TTL, e-TTL which are not compatible with regular TTL as in film SLR camera.

Back
Top Bottom