My first Underwater videos - GoPro Hero HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It shouldn't matter what computer/software he is using. The only way way he would be able to use the GoPro to play over the HDTV would be the original files. If he has tried to do any editing and saved the edited version to the card, the camera probably isn't designed to play it back to the TV, even if it is the same file type.

Second, for HDTV, he should have the component cable plugged into the top jack on the camera and the corresponding RGB jacks on the TV and use only the red and white cables plugged into the bottom jack on the camera for audio only.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure he has the camera set to NTSC output if he is here in the states or to PAL output if he is in an area that uses that system.

Hope this helps.

Before I go wasting a ton of time experimenting, I received an email from a reader of my reviews of the GoPro, Eye of Mine and Contour cams as to how to view his footage directly on his home T.V. Here is his question. Do any of you have a response?

"ON the HDTV port to component I get full screen high def video but no sound, even when plugging in the stereo jack in the bottom port. When I use the lower port (red, white, and yellow) I get picture and sound, but the picture doesn't fill the TV screen."

For the GoPro I use Mpeg Streamclip to transcode the footage before bringing it into FCP and then I can view and hear the footage via my MXO2 box which allows me to CC on an external monitor. I doubt if this reader has an in/out box. He is using an iMac and FCP.

Any suggestions that I can pass on for him?
Thanks,
Steve

The crackling sound comes from the marinelife, it is from the coral, the shrimp, the crabs and so much more.
The ocean is full of life and much of it speaks to us through snaps, crackles and pops.
Much like the cereal after you've poured milk on it.

I've been on a boating forum where they thought that the sound was coming from the fiberglass hull and paint.
Silly boaters, they really need to get out of their yachts a little more often and into the water.

Yup! Thats the sound of a healthy reef!

I hope this is a joke. I quit tucking my kids into bed at night because I am afraid they may catch my germs. :idk:
If you are that worried about the ocean than you should really avoid paying fossil fuel burning boats out to the dive sites that pollute like crazy.

Agreed.

The thread was about the camera, not touching sea life. As soon as I watched the video with the turtle, I had a feeling it would turn more or less into a touching discussion. There are plenty of threads (like the somewhat recent poll about riding marine life) where it is discussed in detail, and people should feel free to give their no touching opinions there :)

As for the videos, I enjoyed them. I just bought myself a camera from someone on here in the classifieds, and I look forward to making my own videos soon.

Last edited:
They do also make a standard definition camera, but the HD version will also shoot in lower definition modes and standard, non-widescreen resolutions.
I'm trying to figure out which one I have.
I bought mine on Ebay and I can't find any kind of model number on it.
The instruction map that came with it does'nt indicate any way to switch
between lower and higher definition so I'll assume that it is a standard GoPro.:(

I'll have a look at mine and see if it has any special markings.

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that as you cycle through the menu on the HD unit, is has the various resolutions set as r1-r5 and I think the actual pixel dimensions are listed on the back cover of the camera. (r5 = 1080 x 1920)

The HD camera I believe is also the only one with two jacks on the side - one for regular RCA and another for Component cables.

I'll have a look at mine and see if it has any special markings.

Off the top of my head, I can tell you that as you cycle through the menu on the HD unit, is has the various resolutions set as r1-r5 and I think the actual pixel dimensions are listed on the back cover of the camera. (r5 = 1080 x 1920)

The HD camera I believe is also the only one with two jacks on the side - one for regular RCA and another for Component cables.

Well it appears that I have the standard def camera.... Bummer!
a6890993-4fb1-100f.jpg
a6890993-4fd7-bfe4.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know they make a 1080 version and a 960 version which they just came out with. 960 is still HD and unless you have a very good eye and about a 50+ inch TV you are not going to be able to tell the difference, atleast without a side-by-side compairison.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know they make a 1080 version and a 960 version which they just came out with. 960 is still HD and unless you have a very good eye and about a 50+ inch TV you are not going to be able to tell the difference, atleast without a side-by-side compairison.

Right. The 1080 goes from about $260 to $300 depending on which accessories you want. The packages are Helmet, Motorsports, and Surf. Or you can go for the Naked and spend only $250 but obviously this package has less accessories. But the "core" items are the same across all 4 packages. The 1080 also has an additional "port" which will allow for future "expansions" to the camera - including adding an LCD screen and filming in 3D (apparently filming for 3D requires two cameras that are linked to each other- thus requiring the port).

Then there's the 960 resolution version. It goes for about $180. And like you said, unless you've got a very large television you probably aren't going to discern the resolution differences. Also, it has a nice set of accessories, including one that seems to me might be important to divers - the headlamp-style headstrap which allows you to film hands-free. I say "seems" because I just got mine and haven't tried it out yet. Going to this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom