My Gear list thus far - tell me where I can save some money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tampa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I am newly certified as of about 4 months ago, It is time for me to buy my gear instead of renting. I plan to make hopefully depending on work and such at least a couple dives a month. I wanted to go with a technical rig set up, that being said if you have an opinion why I shouldn't I would love to hear it. The purpose of this thread is to post up my shopping list thus far that a friend help me set up and for you guys to chime in and see if we can cut some costs without cutting quality. So here we go!

Technical Rig BC
Apeks WTX Harness - 355$
or Deluxe one piece harness - 95$
WTX SS Backplate - 175$
WTX3 Wing - 280$
Inflator hose - 85$
Single tank adaptor - 75$

Regulator/Alt
Apeks XTX 50 reg - 560$
Apeks XTX50 Alt - 250$

Dive Comp
Suunto Zoop (wrist) - 300$

Pressure Gauge
Apeks Brass 5000PSI - 125$

I will also probably need a DIN to Yoke adaptor depending on where I will rent my tanks from, I plan on buying a tank at a later time.

This list comes up to roughly 2300$ before taxes and shipping straight from aqualung.com. I like quality brands like aqualung and apeks but I would like to get my total price down to roughly 1500$ even though that seems like quite a stretch anything helps.

Thanks!

Aqualung/apeks doesn't nessecarily mean highest quality in relation to price.

As far as harnesses, there are far cheaper options that are just as good or better. A SS backplate is an SS backplate, and wings are high quality from a variety of manufacturers.

You can buy a high quality reg set with SPG and alternate for much cheaper than what you quoted. Try shopping around at divers supply, northeast scuba supply, etc...and you will see cheaper packages from Hollis, HOG, dive rite etc.

As far as computers go, the zoop is ok. I prefer oceanic due to their simplicity, however batteries are only good for one dive season. Scuba pro also makes some nice computers.

Hope this helps you,
Tom

I buy almost only used gear at fairly nice savings. But I understand why most divers don't want to start out that way. I would take that shopping list to Leisurepro and to Scubatoys and see what they can do with it.

And even if used is not what you are ready for, I suggest you take a look at ebay just to get another perspective on value.

Buy a used DSS or H plate and (non-fancy) harness. I didn't realize someone was trying to sell an even more overpriced brass & glass SPG than Halcyon, but looks like Apeks has. Buy a Hog or H or whatever big brass & real mineral glass SPG - they're all the same basic construction anyway.

WTF is an $85 inflator hose? Is it really a horridly overpriced corrugated hose, or, is it an unbelievably overpriced LP hose to the inflator? Either way: no, no, no.

You can get a good used Halcyon AL or SS plate with harness and hardware, plus a used 30 or 40lb Halcyon Eclipse single tank wing, for around $300-$350. If you find a nice used Halcyon Pioneer, you won't even need the STA--ditto for a new DSS wing (if buying the wing new for warranty support, get DSS).

Take the money you save over the ridiculous Apeks gear (other than their regs, which are excellent) and buy a Shearwater Petrel in place of the Zoop.

1+ for talking with leisurepro or scubatoys for package deal, or even better, your local dive shop. Our LDS will often meet or beat internet prices.

You can buy a used Halcyon stainless plate and 30 lb wing for around $300 usually. You can buy an older Scubapro regulator such as a mark 5, 10 or 20 with a G250 regulator for around $150.00 used. It will probably cost about $50 to get it serviced and it will perform as good as any regulator out there for almost any warm water diving. I have wasted a lot of money on dive gear and have learned some lessons that I wish I had been told early on. As far as a computer goes just buy a cheap single gas nitrox computer for basic recreational diving. I have seen some new oceanics for under $200. If you want the best computer on the market it is a Shearwater Petrel. But if you are just starting diving you don't need it. Even if you are starting tech diving you can run the cheap Oceanic in gauge mode for your classes.

Going the technical dive equipment route for OW diving isn't the most economical way to getting into diving.

I would recommend that as a new diver, you spend your money on: 1) getting more dives under your belt, 2) continuing your training and 3) investing in equipment more suited for OW diving: a jacket type BC, an intermediate range yoke equipped regulator and octo, skip the computer and go the console route of SPG, Depth Gauge and Compass. Check out NESS, BeaverDivers, Leisure Pro, etc. for packages as well as your LDS for deals.

I will only comment on the items that seems to be very over price.
Deluxe one piece harness - 95$
Inflator hose - 85$
Apeks Brass 5000PSI - 125$
"Deluxe one piece harness for $95" Even Halcyon only charge like $65 for their. You can get a set from less know brand or no brand for much less. And just why inflator hose cost additional to the wing. Last, Brass spg, $125?? you can get a very good quality one for half.

Going the technical dive equipment route for OW diving isn't the most economical way to getting into diving.

I would recommend that as a new diver, you spend your money on: 1) getting more dives under your belt, 2) continuing your training and 3) investing in equipment more suited for OW diving: a jacket type BC, an intermediate range yoke equipped regulator and octo, skip the computer and go the console route of SPG, Depth Gauge and Compass. Check out NESS, BeaverDivers, Leisure Pro, etc. for packages as well as your LDS for deals.

I tend to disagree. I would recommend the below as they worked great for me getting into diving:

Hog D1 regs (2) *new*
Used wing and backplate (DSS or halcyon or something like that)
Shearwater petrel dive computer if you can buy used do it
Pressure gauge *new*

I don't like jacket style bc's.

The biggest point for me was that get new regulators and new pressure gauges and everything else you can get new. If you want to save money you should probably stay away from aqualung. Although they do well for products you don't get all that much additional "value".

---------- Post added March 17th, 2013 at 08:07 PM ----------

Alright... Here is another piece of advice.

Divegearexpress.com
Dive addicts (site down now though) you'll have to call
Add helium
Diverightinscuba.com

Done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom