My Gear list thus far - tell me where I can save some money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

add to that the scurge of Zebra Mussels here in freshwater..... they are like razor blades, and everywhere....:shocked2:

In principle I agree with the idea of a digital depth gauge – it gives depth, time and temperature – which is really much of the value of a computer for recreational diving, anyway.

But, a new Zoop costs about the same as a new Uwatec DDG. Yes, you can wait and try to find a used DDG but generally the people that have them like them and use them, so they don’t come on the used market that frequently. Or, if they do they are either quite ‘mature’ or not fully functional (which is the primary reason someone gets rid of theirs). If you can find one cheap, fine. But $250 for a Zoop isn’t bad.

The Zoop is laughably conservative. When I was working in the keys, a DM had one of them and had a few rather short BTs because of it. I like to go diving, not sit on the boat :) Like you said, people don't sell the Uwatec often. That's because they're awesome :) I've only seen 1 Uwatec die, and it was 10 years old. Decent investment!

If you get a Zoop, and then progress to anything (nitrox, trimix, longer dives, etc) you'll be the proud owner of a zoop and something else. Skip the zoop and put the $ to diving.

You could save some money here:

Apeks XTX100 - Yoke

$645.00 $369.99
Apeks XTX100 - Yoke Apeks # AP0333 We are fully authorized dealers. All regs come…

Apeks XTX100 - Din

$645.00 $369.99
Apeks XTX100 - Din We are fully authorized dealers. All regs come with full warrantyand par…

Apeks XTX50 DS4 - Din

$525.00 $369.99
Out of stock​
Apeks XTX50 DS4 - Din Apeks # AP0342-1 We are fully authorized dealers. All regs

---------- Post added March 18th, 2013 at 01:18 PM ----------

Or here:

Main Shop
>
Gauges > Submersible Pressure Gauges
2.5-Tech-Spg264-3535_th.jpg

Click for larger image​
2.5" Tech Spg W/Red Warning Area

2.5 Inch dial face with luminescent background 0 - 5000 PSI
Oxygen cleaned & Spool "stem" has viton o'rings
Scratch resistant tempered glass w/ o' ring seal
Brass case with chrome plating for corrosion resistant and a durable outside finish
Gauge uses high precision Bordon tube technology
Red 500 PSI low air warning on dial face
Add a High Pressure hose and SAVE money on your hose!
This gauge is ideal for the tech diver or the diver who is hard on their gear!
Want your gauge assembled.. No problem check down below and its done FREE with 02 grease
Piranha's Price:$48.99
spacer.gif
Do you wish Spg assemblied? No Yes
spacer.gif
How many EXTRA spools? No Extras 1 (+$2.59) 2 (+$5.18) 4 (+$9.60)
spacer.gif
Add a High Pressure Hose No Hose 6 Inch HP (+$15.49) 9 Inch HP (+$16.49) 20 Inch HP (+$17.49) 24 Inch HP (+$18.99) 36 Inch HP (+$20.99) 40 Inch HP (+$21.99)
spacer.gif
Add Protective Sleeve? Add 1 Protective Sleeve (+$2.99)
Quantity:

---------- Post added March 18th, 2013 at 01:27 PM ----------

Or here:
From diverightinscuba.com

Light Monkey Harness Webbing w/ Hardware Kit
[Model: 20.300.010]
MSRP:$48.00
Our Price:$40.00
You Save:$8.00 (17%)
pixel_trans.gif
Buy this item and earn 80 points valued at $4.00.
(Redeemable on future purchases)

Backplate Webbing with Hardware Kit. Includes Crotch Strap.

Comes Complete With Everything Pictured

Last edited:
Or here:
(Leisurepro)

OutletItemSeal.png

chat-banner-3.gif

(6 reviews)See More Similar Buoyancy Compensators | Scuba BCD »
spcr.gif

Hollis S Series (Single Tank) Wings

Get FAST answers from people who bought this
See 5 questions
21 answers

List Price:$329.95
Our Price:$299.95
Sale:$199.95
You Save:$130.00 (39%)

SKU: HLSSTN
IN STOCK

BML_6M_250min_less.gif
SELECT LIFT

---------- Post added March 18th, 2013 at 01:52 PM ----------

@ DIVEGEAREXPRESS.COM

+ Enlarge
In Stock
Sale!
$399.00
$299.00
DGX Custom - Singles Harness/Backplate/Wing Package

(Backplate?) Aluminum Stainless (+ $20.00) (Shoulder Pads?) NO Shoulder Pads Shoulder Pads (+ $15.00) (Weight System?) NO Weight System DR Quick Buckle {16 lb | 7.5 kg} System (+ $96.00) DR Quick Buckle {32 lb | 15.5 kg} System (+ $124.00) A hogarthian backplate/wing/harness package for single tank diving at a value price:

• Dive Rite {25 lb | 11 kg} wing
  • Two stainless steel quick-release buckle tank straps
  • Basic hogarthian harness with all S/S hardware
  • 2-inch padded crotch strap w/scooter ring
  • Aluminum or steel backplate
  • Assembly screws
Available options include an upgrade to stainless steel backplate, add weight pockets and shoulder pads. Sorry, but at this low price we are unable to make any substitutions.

Last edited:
Jim seems to be helping me out with my set up. Just getting some more opinions and making sure it's what I want.

The dive computer is between the Zoop and the uwatec DDG

Between the HOG and the Apeks regs listed here by me and others, I'd take Apeks hands down. The prices makes them in the same range price wise. I've purchased from John at NESS multiple times and have never had a bad experience.

The HOG regs actually came out about 300$ cheaper than Apeks

While $300 may sound like a lot, do a search on Hog QA issues, IP creep etc. Apeks are tested work horse regs you'll never outgrow. A wing/backplate is fine to go cheaper. From evidence on the boards, I'd still go with a long term tested workhorse :)

FYI - I'm not an Apeks fanboy. I actually dive Dive Rite regs.

The HOG regs are $69.00?

I think he means by the time he adds a matched 2nd stage to the setup. Long term he's still better off. He's one 1st stage away from a powerhouse doubles set up. Even better buy two sets and shelf a first stage for doubles later.

No offense to Hog, but Apeks at that price is foolish to go anywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom