My GoPro 3D setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for this thread. It shows me that a DIY system can be effective and I should take diffusion material and cable ties with me for on-site adjustments.

Thanks for looking.

The cable ties are a good idea. I was using lengths of bicycle inner tube to hold the white diffusers on my lights and had one wash away while kicking out to a dive.

Your final result is great. That is some pretty damn dark, cloudy green water. I can see why you needed all the lighting. I just read through this entire thread and you had one heck of a long DIY project going there but that's part of the fun and in the end you succeeded.

Congrats.

Thanks.

The first dive was almost like a night dive. I occasionally wished I had an easy way to turn off the lights so the cameras could adjust to the ambient light. I dove the same site, with the same buddy, back in May and the conditions were dramatically different---snoop around on my channel & you'll see. (shameless troll for views)

So here's my latest configuration:

On the left of the tray (in the picture) is an ATC Chameleon camera---an odd beast with two cameras in one. As shown one camera is facing forward and the other points back. Each lens can be swiveled +/- 90 degrees. The final video is a split screen showing the view from both cameras. An interesting feature of the Chameleon is the shutter switch is also the power switch. This maximizes the useable time for the internal battery (rated at 2 hours), but also introduces a significant delay in getting recording started. I'm not happy with the results with it placed as shown and am considering other mount options.

On the other side of the GoPro 3D housing is the new underwater housing for a Looxcie HD camera.

I dove with this configuration yesterday and learned a few things:

First, it's hard for my right hand to get to the GoPro shutter with the Chameleon there. I kept finding the GoPro running after I thought I'd stopped it. I eventually figured out I could get to it better with my left hand.

Second, I'm not getting enough run time from the NiMH rechargeable batteries in my lights. I did two, one-hour, dives and the light intensity dropped significantly about a quarter way into the second dive. I've suspected this for a few dives now, but am certain after reviewing the video. I'm going to have to revert to NiCads, get a second set of NiMH's and chargers, or find another chemistry (will google to see if there are C sized Li-ion's out there.)

I've been tinkering with Looxcie cameras lately, both the Looxcie HD and the new Looxcie 3. The 3 is fairly inexpensive so I bought a second and produced this 3D video:

[video=youtube;Mzq7r_nyZqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzq7r_nyZqU[/video]

To synchronize the left and right clips I tapped on the slide bar the cameras were mounted on with a key and lined up the transients in the audio tracks in Sony Vegas Pro 12. The video above was an exercise in going through the entire editing process with completely independent cameras for the first time. The folks at Looxcie liked it enough to post it on their web sites & I'm hoping it will inspire them to look into a true, synchronised, 3D system.

In the meantime, his worked well enough I thought I'd try it underwater. I scrounged around in my garage and found another section of the aluminum bar stock I made my GoPro rig out of. After a little quality time with my drill press & a file I've come up with this:

The lights are from my GoPro rig, and will be swapped between rigs as needed.

I will take this rig diving December 21'st, if not sooner, and report back with the results.

Here's my first dive video using the Looxcie 3 3D rig shown above:

[video=youtube;Y6W0f4vnIQY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6W0f4vnIQY[/video]

Back
Top Bottom