My GoPro 3D setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The grass (water) is always greener, I guess...I was just watching a You Tube video about diving in Miami.

The sea lions are fun, but can be aggressive, so I always get a shot of adrenaline when I know they're about. The year I took my avitar photo they had a rookery right at the Monterey breakwater. It was pretty smelly 'til the pups got into the water. The juveniles were racing around the day I took that photo, playing with the divers. I watched this one bark in the diver's face, race to the surface for air and repeat several times before I took the picture.

Cool video of yours and I love the screen grab as its trying to take a bite, I've never had one try that yet and have dived with a few large numbers. Shame my coolest seal dive at seal rocks in Victoria I didn't have a camera handy but there were hundreds around then just playing with us.

A little bit of a hazardouz site though with lots of great whites in the area too but we were told its fine when the seals are around its when they all take off that you dont need to wonder why lol.

There was one sea lion that got pretty aggressive at one of our local piers and even killed a pretty large octopus, the day before I went there to hope full film the octopus lol. It then got tangled in fishing line and had a very nasty cut which was seen clearly in one of my videos. I sent an email and link to the video to the the the local wildlife rescue organization and they sent some people in to help the little guy out which was nice of them.

Good to see it looks like you can embed yt3d videos with 3d viewing options now, the only reason I put some of mine in red cyan on vimeo is because the yet embeds used to only show up in side by side. Checking your video then on my phone I had the 3d setting option but not sure how long its been there because I always just went to yet to view peoples 3d stuff in the past.

Went diving Sunday for the first time since the v198 firmware update and discovered, toward the end of the dive, my cameras aren't turning on and off together. I ended up with 60 clips in the right camera and 19 in the left. It appears the right camera was responding to every shutter input but the left was responding to every other.

I posted about this over on GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - 3D and protunes firmware did not work... but no response so far.

There was a lot of overlap between the left and right clips so I was able to cobble together a video, but I had to do everything in Pinnacle Studio 16---I don't think I could have done anything in Cineform. The tricky part was finding and synchronizing the corresponding sequences. Eventually I realised the patterns in the audio track could be lined up to synchronize the clips and only had trouble on a couple of clips where the audio track amplitude was too small, i.e. flatline. It's funny how big an effect even one frame offset has on the sound.

After a couple of dives with the holographic diffusers I'm happy, but thinking I need another couple of lights placed lower on the strobe arms. The high placement of the existing lights results in shadows and/or poor light coverage when I get close or shoot into holes.

Here's the latest video:

[video=youtube_share;VL2-h4Vhsu0]http://youtu.be/VL2-h4Vhsu0[/video]

GoPro acknowledged a probem with the latest firmware and the 3D system and recommended reverting to v124, which I have done.

Ordered a second set of DRIS lights to position lower on the arms and illuminate close subjects. Haven't decided whether to use the holographic or white diffusers on these.

Noticed a vertical shift between the left and right eyes in the latest video and corrected it in Pinnacle 16. Here's the updated video:

[video=youtube_share;KTZZnP8mlVg]http://youtu.be/KTZZnP8mlVg[/video]

Your first met fields vid is marked as private?

Edit: N/M, didn't notice the later one replaces the earlier one.

Yeah. I would edit the first one out, but can't edit that post. Most folks disable the 3D anyway, but I'd hate to have someone actually into it get a headache, so closed it. I usually freeview in a side-by-side format so keep missing the anaglyph problems---I'm aware of it now, though, and know how to fix it.

Very nicely done, it's great to see the local sites in a new light. Underwater scenes are so well suited to 3d, I love seeing these come up.

Years of magic eye autostereogram nonsense at the local mall has trained me to view the side by side effortlessly, but only cross-eyed, which is a pain.

Thank you.

I don't meet many who can freeview.

Back in the early '90s, when I first started playing with 3D, the local National Stereoscopic Association meetings were held in a Stanford lecture hall set up for 3D projection. It was fun seeing all the 3D work being done and you could bring 5 slides of your own & have them projected.

The Fenix flashlight-to-handle bar adaptors are a little too big for the Nikonos strobe arms so I've been using a spacer of rubber or a section of hose. The adapters click when you move the flashlights so I bought a 1/8" thick sheet of Sorbathane to use as a noise absorber between the Fenix adaptor and strobe arm:

sorbathane-2.jpg

It's wierd, sticky stuff and cuts easily with a pair of scissors:

sorbathane-1.jpg

Here are the lights mounted to the strobe arms with the Sorbathane spacers:

sorbathane-3.jpg

I think they were quieter on yesterday's dive, but it will take a few dives to be sure.

D'oh! The sorbathane was a bust. I should have realised---the sorbathane can only affect the sound transmitted through the strobe arm & does nothing about the sound transmitted through the water.

Oh well...I wanted some to tinker with anyway...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom