My indepth review of the Hollis NeoTek Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm down to 205 and my measurements are well within the range for the XL but I think I could squeeze into the L. However, it seems that what you are saying is that this suit isn't quite as flexible as my other Henderson suit (which is a large).
My weight is pretty easily distributed so I don't go by the weight charts.
How about the legs? I have substantial calves, etc. Is there room there?

yes, IMO forget the large size, just cause you can squeeze into it doesn't mean it will be comfortable.....

as for your legs, it might just make it trickier to put on the suit, but you should be fine...as long as dont have popeye the sailor type legs..... if you do just avoid cans of spinach before diving...

I was considering a semi dry. I've heard of some people installing a p valve in them. Mostly because the water exchange isn't very much so you don't want to pee in it like a wet suit.
Has anyone tried that with this one?

How much, if any, squeeze do you get at depth? I read a customer review on the waterproof combat semi dry and they had to pour warm water down the suit before diving to avoid squeeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pee in it like a wet suit.
Naw, I just hold it. I suppose if you wanted to try peeing in your suit, it wouldn't be too hard to do....

How much, if any, squeeze do you get at depth?
Depends on how much you had to drink before and how long you waited before letting go...

Sorry, just couldn't resist! :D

I was considering a semi dry. I've heard of some people installing a p valve in them. Mostly because the water exchange isn't very much so you don't want to pee in it like a wet suit.

How much, if any, squeeze do you get at depth? I read a customer review on the waterproof combat semi dry and they had to pour warm water down the suit before diving to avoid squeeze.
I haven't heard of putting a pee valve in a semi-dry, but I'd imagine it could be done....
that being said I wouldn't recommend christening this suit either, from what I've experienced, the water exchange is very small, and I've had dives where the underarmor I wear under the suit never got wet. I think I'll just keep holding it and pee when i get back on the boat..
as far as squeeze goes, my experience with the Neo-Tek is mostly doing shallow 20-40 foot dives lasting between 45-75 min. and so I haven't noticed any squeeze associated with depth.

I have had the suit over100 feet a few times send have never gotten any squeeze from it. I also pee in it constantly, rinses right out. It is good until 50 degrees or so. I have dove it in 40 degree water and it want warm enough.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

I had it to 157 feet last weekend, no squeeze and no need to add water prior to diving. The suit has low water exchange, but it does have water exchange, enough that you could pee in it just fine if you wanted to. I have been in water to 39 degrees and been just fine, though I tolerate cold better than my friends do.

I'm looking into this suit for Midwest quarry diving, but I'm still not sold. I am trying to decide between this suit and the Aqualung Solafx. I have pretty small wrists and a lot of suits are too big for me to get a good seal on my wrists. How tight is the NeoTek around the wrist/lower arm area?

I think the NeoTek is a nicer suit than the SolAFx, personally. If size is a concern you can always order and then send it back if it's not a good fit. I recommend Fourth Element's proteus semi-dry, too. Extremely warm suit, with the tightest wrist and ankle seals of any semi-dry I've seen. Only downside is it's a back-zip, and does not come with hood.

I don't have any experience with the Aqualung suit so I cant really compare the two, but I'm a huge fan of the NeoTek suit. It has kept me from going out and investing in a dry-suit. the thigh pockets are large enough to hold my shears and wetnotes, and still have room to stow my GoPro whenever I'm not using it.

As for the wrist seals, I would guess I have.....moderately sized wrist,...... and when i first started diving the suit it almost seemed tight in the wrist and ankles. It got better the more I dove the suit, and really wasn't a issue worth much thought to me. If you look at some of the pictures the OP included there is one with the sleeves pulled inside out. The silver part around the wrist is the actual seal and the black ring that would be halfway up your forearm is a secondary dam that stops any water that makes it through the primary seal. Its sown only on one side and acts like a check valve if/when water hits it. Between the two I get very little water penetration into the suit.

Back
Top Bottom