My Instructor & Friend's gear was Stolen! :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On Valentine's eve, my instructor had her gear stolen out of her car in Long Beach. She was due to leave the next morning for a scuba instruction trip in Florida.

Since we are a pretty close community, as divers, I thought I would put the info out here. It absolutely sickens me to think that someone who steal dive gear period... but from a person as nice as my instructor/friend. She's the kind of person who gives 120% to her students, very sweet and just down right cool.

Anyhow, the gear is unique as she's a really small woman -> barely 5'0", dives in a dry suit and is worth probably like $3K - $4K. She had everything stolen except her mask and fins :(

I'll try and get more details about her gear but she does have all gear marked with "D. Schlecht" and her instructor number.

If you see it out there on e-bay or whatever, it's hot gear. Talk about bad karma to dive in stolen gear! Ouch! Our LDS and other friends were able to help her out with some gear but on a limited budget it will take a very long time for her to replace her gear. :(

Sorry to hear that. When they find the person(s) who did this, they should turn them into shark bait.................

I hope your friend find's her gear! It's a very bad idea to leave anything of value in your car. I bet the guy could sell the gear the next day for a few hundred bucks and get a nice stash of drugs! The registry is a great idea, but a police report would be very necessary. I'd check out pawn shops and look at used scuba gear. I doubt a lady who could fit in the gear stole it! Maybe her auto or home insurance would cover the theft!

Good luck!

Sean

Oh Lexy,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. It really frightens me, for I have known others to have had their gear stolen as well. It frightens me, for I tend to have my gear in my car all the time, for I like to be able to head to Laguna on a moments notice. Maybe I will start to take my reg and computers inside to my office as a safe gaurd.

Thank you to the person who posted re the stolen gear registry. That is good to have. Maybe scubaboard should start something like that here too.

If you can list at the least brand and model info., there have been several drysuits and wetsuits on EBay in a small or very small size.

Reminded me to renew my DEPP insurance. It failed to renew automatically because my credit card number changed during the year.

Glad I live here on Catalina where such things are a MUCH less frequent problem.

Dr. Bill

Please have her notify the manufacturer of her drysuit. She can give them the serial number off of the suit. If the theif should ever send the suit in for alterations or seal replacement, the manufacturer can contact the police and they will eventually trace who the theif was in many cases. You would be amazed at how effective this can be.
I did this and nailed someone all the way in New Jersey.

BlueDolphin:
...If the thief should ever send the suit in for alterations or seal replacement, the manufacturer can contact the police and they will eventually trace who the thief was in many cases. You would be amazed at how effective this can be.

Except that the thief probably sold it to someone or to a pawn shop. There may be a chain of transactions between the thief and the person who ultimately brings the suit in for service. I would hate to think it was actually another diver that took the gear, although anything is possible.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom