My little pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timoblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any thoughts on or experience with this system H2Odyssey

Or go with best setup, reg etc...for 19cft Pony - recommendations.

Many thanks

Timo

OsceolaOrg%5CMyLittlePony.JPG

Most people will tell you the H2O system doesnt have enough air...and it doesnt for tech diving but within the rec limits it should, but it will be cutting it close based on what I have seen. Most people will tell you to sling a 19 or 30cf pony...who knows...I dive with neither and try not to run out of air.

I have one ... It is nice for traveling, as it is light. Under no work load conditions (hanging onto an ascent line) slowly ascending from 70'-50' I can get more than 3 minutes worth of air from it. I have added a hose to it between the 1st and 2nd stage which makes deploying it much easier. Thinking back, I really should have gone straight for a larger system, however, the 1st stage/valve on this unit is 3/4 Straight pipe with o-ring, so it can be threaded onto any modern scuba bottle.

I'm too new of a diver to offer advice so take my 2c for what's worth...for a little extra money I would suggest a system with increased air capacity. I recently bought a Oceanic 8 regulator at over 1/2 off from a reputable on-line shop and a 19cf tank, sling set-up and small PG from my LDS...the complete set-up was under $400. At the end of day, it comes down to your comfort level with risk management and how you deal with real or imaginary fears about diving. I like the sport but it is after all life support equipment. Although I liked the compactness of the H2Q it offers the illusion of a backup system in situations most likely to exceed its limited air supply. Then it again, I'm sure it has come to the rescue of many divers...any stories out there?

I have an H20 6cu ft bail out and like Graeme have it rigged with a hose for ease of access. It is a reasonable solution for moderate depths of o/w and diving with unknown buddies. The cost was reasonable ($230), you can transfill it from you primary bottle and travel with ease. The integrated valve and 1st stage is lighter and more streamlined than standard components. Mine has worked flawless in many drills to 80' for 2 years.

That said, rigged to a 6cu ft bottle it does not have the same operational envelope as a fullsize pony. Although dismissing its use as an illusion due to the size is an arbirtay opinion, I have to admit more air is better, every time and every depth. You just have to decide how much extra gear you want to haul around.

Some interesting points here. I also studied the input by members in 'carjacks' thread on this forum too, regarding the right size pony/redundant system.
I'll be taking on my AOW soon and i do already own a 'spareAir'. I have to say i do take it on dives with me and although i am sure of its inadequacies and its limitations, it still offers some peace of mind and reassurance in the event of a OOA situation.

Albeit much less than a larger capacity backup system at depth.

On a recent wreck dive i reached 85' and had some slight trouble with my second stage, nothing too alarming but the thought did occur to me at the time that my buddy was suddenly 20 feet beyond me with the current - and if i did have a major upset, i cannot reach him. Suffice to say it never got to that but the majority of thought on the way back was 'what if'.

@Graeme & Grumpy - Is adding the hose on the H2O an easy task. Would you recommend with my limited experience that my LDS would be better served.

Tnx to all for posting.

Adding a hose is very simple. You do need a hex wrench to loosen the swivel and a adjustable wrench you would use on any hose. That is about it. I just used an extra LP hose I had laying around from an octo I pulled out of service on another reg.

Just remember when you go down this road that the 6cu ft is a very limited supply, enough for a direct ascent from moderate depths. It is not a general purpose pony but a bailout bottle and should not be used to penetrate wrecks or anyplace you need time to work through problems.

After some thought I'll order up a 19cf pony and get my LDS to fit my old 'bombproof' blizzard.

GrumpyOldGuy - Thanks again m8.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom