My loser moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First boat dive as a certified and without a buddy, the DM has arranged a buddy for me. I get all my stuff set up, look around at others to make sure I did everything right, wait and watch as others enter the water, put my BCD on, test air and octo, stand up and am pulled back down...bungy still attached to the tank. I can only imagine what my new buddy must have been thinking when he saw that.

Here's one I haven't seen yet.

I was teaching this guy and his girlfriend. He was determined to get his OW no matter what. We started our third dive and were at about 15 feet when he pointed to his mask, gave me the trouble sign and then thumbs up. I thought he was trying to tell me his mask was fogging and he wanted to surface to clear it. I stopped him and motioned for him to break the seal, let a little water in, then clear it. This done he gave me the okay sign and we continued the dive. When we got to the platform I saw that his eye was kind of closing, like he was squinting with just that eye. I pointed to my eye and then shrugged in a kind of what's going on fashion. He thought I wanted him to remove and replace his mask and did it immediately. I decided to wait til we got back on the surface. When we got to the top I asked him and he said he didn't feel a thing. But what he was trying to tell me was that he had had a mask squeeze. We decided he must have popped a blood vessel in his eye. To be safe I insisted that he get an okay from his doctor before we continued. He really didn't want to and tried to get me to relent but I wouldn't. Man I felt bad. Dr cleared him that week and I called DAN and discussed the situation to make myself feel better. We finished his last dive later that week.

I've done a couple of giant strides off the boat without fins on, even dropped my BC in once without filling it adequately (was going to don on the surface) ended up having to don it at about 30 ft.

My favorite was a couple weeks ago at work when my buddy walked forward to do a giant stride off the boat. I looked at her and something didn't look quite right ... then I realized she'd forgotten her BC and tank ... oops. I'm sure I'll do that one day myself, so in the meantime I'll just laugh at the possibility.

Aloha, Tim

I get so wrapped up in making sure that my students are ready thatt I sometimes forget some of those things for myself.

Things forgotten at various times: Weights, fins, air on, mask. There may be more. Now I take an extra minute or two just for myself.

Umm, we are on the Instructor's Forum here, aren't we?

add another one to the list of descents-on-snorkel! The funny thing is that I think that my buddy did the same thing on the same dive....

I was amazed the mask never fell off (good fit and seal!) and though I had a few more drops of water in it than usual nothing really seemed wrong. My son thought I was just showing off how good a seal I got on my mask. He did say that I looked like a :dork2: with the mask strap flapping on my head.

your not the nly one, if u look in my Avater carefully u can see my black neoprene mask strap sitting on top of my head, granted i was upsidedown at the time but it's not the first time nor will it prob be the last time this has happened,

Add me to the list to decending with snorkel in my mouth

On my second ever boat dive (also night dive) i was all rigged up was getting somone to help me put my gear on when they asked if i thought i should strap the tank to the bc before i go :lotsalove:, when i had hooked everything up i had completely forgot, although it would have been funnier if i had did a rollback entry

On our checkout dives in the quarry... during one of the regulator recovery drills, instead of switching to the backup reg (integrated inflator/octo), switched to the snorkel at 18ffw. Realized what I did halfway into the first breath and switched to the actual octo.

Teaching an OW class on the beach, I forgot my mask and had to drive back to the shop to get one while all the students waited for me:lotsalove:. After the briefings and just before getting in the water, I realized I had also forgotten my weights!!!!! :lotsalove: Drive back to the shop again? Of course not! At this point, I couldn't tell a soul, so we got in the water, dove down and I found some rocks that I stuffed in my BC pockets. :lotsalove: Thank god no students were under weighted. Can you picture me handing them a rock to fix their under weighting issue? :lotsalove: To this day, I wonder if anybody noticed. They were probably to polite to say anything. :lotsalove:

Teaching an OW class on the beach, I forgot my mask and had to drive back to the shop to get one while all the students waited for me:lotsalove:. After the briefings and just before getting in the water, I realized I had also forgotten my weights!!!!! :lotsalove: Drive back to the shop again? Of course not! At this point, I couldn't tell a soul, so we got in the water, dove down and I found some rocks that I stuffed in my BC pockets. :lotsalove: Thank god no students were under weighted. Can you picture me handing them a rock to fix their under weighting issue? :lotsalove: To this day, I wonder if anybody noticed. They were probably to polite to say anything. :lotsalove:
Dude... :shakehead:

Thought I was the only one that had to use rocks! First certified dive, Ginnie Springs. Couldn't get down to save my life till I grabbed some rocks off the bottom and stuffed them into my BC pockets.

Add me to the descend-on-snorkel (DOS) list. I'm usually first in the water, waiting for my buds to get ready, breathing on my snorkel. They hop in, it's time to descend, and.... you know the rest.

Back
Top Bottom