My mistake in buying online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Zeagle regs an adjustable wrench wont fit(too wide) to get the hose loosened and off. I purchased very thin wrenches and other various tools for the house kit. My scubatool has 8 different wrench sizes on it, 2 allen keys, philips head, flat head screwdriver, needlepoint and a file. The fittings sizes for removing my hoses is perfect although you always do need to be careful about thread damage etc. Maybe there are different scubatools sold. Maybe different regs have different access depth to the nuts. Might be a good idea to take regs into the shop to test the tool. I got lucky, I bought mine blind. My home kit is extensive, my travel kit is minimal.

OK....a good adjustable wrench will work, so will a Scuba Tool and an open end wrench is even better, but if you are going to dedicate these tools for working on your diving gear be kind to your hose fittings and get a few tubing (aka flare) wrenches. Save money and get only the sizes you need.

But that ain't why I'm posting. I want to draw your attention to the fact that after you have your equipment set up, you must check it out. Now don't get nervous over this, we are here to help. See the sticky thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/260452-regulator-checklist-inspection.html for all (more than) you need to know.

Good luck,

Couv

Totally agree couv and I do own a set of those too......plus a bunch of other tools but what you expect from a tool junkie.

You should buy combination wrenches in 11/16", 5/8", and 9/16". Get one in 1/2", too.

Get yourself a good set of Ball Allen wrenches in both English and Metric sizes. With these tools, you'll be way ahead of the game and able to do just about anything to a regulator.

A nice stainless steel dental pick will work well as an o-ring pick but you must be careful not to scratch the brass of the regulator. The SS is harder than the brass and will scratch it if the pick is not used very carefully.

Get yourself a supply of #10, 11, 12, and 14 o-rings and your'e in good shape.

….and a Magnehelic gauge, air flow analyzer, regulated HP air supply, radial arm saw, 3/4 air wrench….ar ar ar…. More power!!!!

That should overcome the hesitation to attempt installing a couple hoses on "LIFE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT".:D

Next time, ask LP to install them, they will do it for you before they ship it.

I didn't know there were online places that didn't assemble and test the regs. It would be nice to check the IP and crack pressure of the gear after it's assembled. We have to adjust a fair number as we assemble packages - but most are pretty close out of the box.

As everyone pointed out, the assembly is pretty easy, the crack pressure you can do by dropping it into water mouthpiece up, should start free flowing when the diaphragm is about 1 inch to 1.5 inches submerged. The intermediate pressure, you really won't be able to check without the proper gauge.

Well, I went to Lowe's today and picked up a set of SAE hex wrenches that, like someone suggested, fold out like a Swiss Army Knife. I figure that can be easily thrown into my reg. bag and could be handy for any last-minute switches necessary. I already have a good adjustable wrench. With the advice on here about the LP and HP ports (which, as someone pointed out, the diameters were completely different), and my past experience with how people always have the things spaced around the first stage, I got it. I'm pretty proud. :D

Thanks everybody.

I'm going to follow the steps on that regulator checklist, and maybe even rent a tank over the weekend to hook it to and see how it breathes in my bathtub. :dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom