My new Olympus PT-030 holds water well!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent. Glad to see you got good service. Did you send it to Oly in California?

I insure through DAN. The bottom mounts on my PT 020 housing got broken. Originallly the housing cost me about $140, the deductible was $100 so I got $40 back after sending the housing to Olympus (subtract $10 for shipping) and getting a letter stating the cost of repair (about $140, surprise). I was treated well by the insurance company. I found a replacement at a NYC camera shop online for about $70. Olympus shipped back the old one for nothing so all in all not a bad deal. Now I have a source of spare parts. But I am thinking of reinforcing the bottom mounting pedestals.

Larry C:
I read a maintenance thread about using syringe to squirt a little food grade silicone into the slot around the buttons.
Where are you guys getting the liquid silicone? I have plenty of the silicone grease, but nothing I could dispense with a syringe. Sounds like a good idea, if I could get some... Woody

It is sold in an aerosol or pump spray by dive stores and internet dive suppliers. I believe you get the pump spray and put a little in a small container to syringe it in.

Rather than using a syringe, I just spray or dip a toothpick in the silicone liquid. The single drop that forms at the end of the toothpick seems to be about the right amount of silicone liquid to transfer onto the shaft and o-ring.

AndyT:
Good advice - I always assemble my camera the night before diving ,or if I am going out for the evening even 2 days before . Never in a rushed environment .It's just too easy to make a basic error .I even attach the lens hood leash after I have closed the housing .

If i put in the camera (SP350) inside the PT030 and dipped it into a bucket full of freshwater or straightly dipped into the pool and found that the housing was leaking and the camera was full of water. Will this fresh water damage the SP350?

Thanks.

sunkarm:
If i put in the camera (SP350) inside the PT030 and dipped it into a bucket full of freshwater or straightly dipped into the pool and found that the housing was leaking and the camera was full of water. Will this fresh water damage the SP350?

Thanks.

This didn't happen did it? This is a hypothetical question? In theory, the camera may survive if you get it out quick enough and dry it out completely.

I would suggest dunking it without the camera first, and then VERY carefully, put the camera in the housing double and tripple checking everything as you close it back up. Then slowly test it. The first sign of trouble, you pull it.

I haven't had a flood yet, hopfully no floods in my future. Just be very careful and anal when checking things and it will server you well.

rjsimp:
This didn't happen did it? This is a hypothetical question? In theory, the camera may survive if you get it out quick enough and dry it out completely.

I would suggest dunking it without the camera first, and then VERY carefully, put the camera in the housing double and tripple checking everything as you close it back up. Then slowly test it. The first sign of trouble, you pull it.

I haven't had a flood yet, hopfully no floods in my future. Just be very careful and anal when checking things and it will server you well.

No....it has happened to me yet...and hopefully not. I used to have sony dsc-p9 and it got flooded after 100 of dives but the errors was that the o-rings got tangled-up and i didn't c it. so that's y i will b super serious this time with the SP350. I have to admit that i never heard of anybody having problems with sony'housings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom