My new Olympus PT-030 holds water well!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfCostdiver:
I'm sending the housing and camera to the oly warranty service center and I'm sure the will send me a rebuilt camera.

Hey, if it came in thru the button it is a manufacturing error and you might get everything new..Good luck

Fingers crossed, good luck.

When I get a new housing, I always test the damn thing out first. I am lucky enough to have access to a 10 ft deep pool (check with your dive shop) and I take the housing there and put a dive weight inside it after wrapping the weight in dry paper towels. I then carefully seal the thing up and sink it in the pool for several hours. When it comes up, any leaks are pretty obvious on the paper towels. This is not a new idea, I know, but maybe this will help someone else who didn't think of it. Good luck with your repairs. Woody

Charlie99:
We all feel your pain. As others have said, it's a case of when you get a flood, not whether you'll get a flood.

What has worked for me, so far at least, is pretty simple.

I fill with tap water a container about 1 foot high, just big enough to hold the housing (for the PT-016, a 2 quart lemonade pitcher works pretty well). Dunk it for just a couple seconds, looking for a big bubble cloud. Then for about 30 seconds, and a cursory look at the housing to see if water drops are inside. Then leave it soaking for anywhere from 10 minutes to the next morning if I forget it. Dry off and inspect the housing.

I try to avoid opening the housing unless I can do this simple dunk test again. When possible, I setup the housing leisurely the night before.

This intent of this test is to catch my dumb mistakes --- improperly latched, hair across the O-ring, etc.

I follow the same procedure as you do. I have big enough cards in my 5060 so i dont have to open it till the end of the day and then i download them and get the camera rigged for the next day and water test it in the sink ot bathtub that night and again the next morning before leaving for the first dive, call me paranoid about the second water check in the morning but so far so good.

We took our new housing on a test dive before the camera got in it.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
We took our new housing on a test dive before the camera got in it.

I got the SP-350 with housing for Christmas. I did a test run in the pool (without camera) and then did one test run dive without the camera (it happened to be to the Corsair on Oahu with Lisa and Roger:) no problems. I'm sorry this happened. Hopefully it was a faulty housing and they will replace it all. Did you have it insured?

Cynde:
it happened to be to the Corsair on Oahu with Lisa and Roger:)

:D

Testing the housing, empty, on a deep dive is the best way to go. That is if you have a dive to spare.

I also sometimes (if I think of it that is...lol) tell people that if they are taking the camera down for the first time to let us know in advance - if they are here a day or two before their dives we would pick up the housing and test dive it for them.

just thought of a watch maker. They have those pressure test tanks for watches. If it's a small camera they might test it for you too...at a charge of course

justleesa:
:D

Testing the housing, empty, on a deep dive is the best way to go. That is if you have a dive to spare.

Skipping pictures on one dive is a much better option than flooding the camera and not getting ANY pictures the whole trip. In my book there is always a dive to spare :D

my book too Ber...sad to say lots of guests don't want to spare the dive :frown:
When they come up and all is well I hear them say...See, nothing happened....and she wanted me to test it first...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom