My own equipment not allowed for Open Water class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s just bizarre that you have to pay for rental for the OW dives.

Does the PADI shop supply everything for both and OW dives? How does the pricing compare?

That I'm not sure, I didn't ask too many specifics since I've read some less-than-favorable things about PADI as an organization. Again, not trying to start a flame war, just don't want to be rushed out the door with a certificate. But I will call the PADI shop after the try SCUBA day and ask.

OK. I can recommend and instructor who would teach you in BP/W and long hose but they are in Mobile..

That's a 5 hour drive for me so not deal, but I'll keep that in mind. Is it fair game to post on the Alabama board here and ask for instructors? I'm not familiar with the etiquette yet and don't want to cause any issues.

That I'm not sure, I didn't ask too many specifics since I've read some less-than-favorable things about PADI as an organization. Again, not trying to start a flame war, just don't want to be rushed out the door with a certificate.

That's a 5 hour drive for me so not deal, but I'll keep that in mind. Is it fair game to post on the Alabama board here and ask for instructors? I'm not familiar with the etiquette yet and don't want to cause any issues.
The organization is about getting people diving safely, period. The instructor has boxes they have to check for your class and they don't vary much between agencies. Your instructor is what makes or breaks the class. There are terrible (fully subjective to the trainee) instructors in each agency. Get a class scheduled, get your card, seek out further knowledge and experience wherever and from whomever you can. What matters at the end of the day is safely getting wet and blowing bubbles. Go deeper, longer, further as you gain the knowledge and experience. Stop getting hung up on who certified your instructor instead of what the instructor can teach you.

just don't want to be rushed out the door with a certificate.

It may seem like it from time to time when you read a bunch of stuff in forums, but PADI is not the only "puppy mill" dive agency. I have seen most all agencies put out some crappy product (divers).

Basically, just don't go to some other agency and be like "Whew, I am safe because this isn't PADI". You also need to view your OW certificate as simply a license to learn.

I agree with the SSI dive shop since the instructor/dive shop is responsible for the training and safety of all students and they can't afford to deal with different equipment configurations with their students. Uniformity and standards are important for efficiency. I'd use their equipment for the course and then you use your own kit after completion of the course.

For the equipment rental for openwater, many dive shop split the fees between openwater and confined water training and I don't see as something odd or unusual.

They DO supply everything for the confined water and it is part of the price, but they don't supply the BC and regs for the open water portion, which is where the renting/buying comes into play. That's why I wanted to buy my own to not throw $300 away on renting gear.
$300? :shocked:

Here is a snip off the page for full gear rental from my LDS (and we are not in a dive-centric location):

1655830715715.png

That I'm not sure, I didn't ask too many specifics since I've read some less-than-favorable things about PADI as an organization. Again, not trying to start a flame war
You are doing your best to do so by saying stuff like this repeatedly.....

You are doing your best to do so by saying stuff like this repeatedly.....

I've been using internet forums since the 90s, I understand how they work. I'm simply trying to prevent derailing of this thread as I'd like to focus on the BYO equipment aspect of my original question. I simply stated the above as to why I currently have a preference for one shop over the other, even if it's misguided (which it sounds like it may be). But I hear what you're saying. People's emotions run high these days, and I mean no disrespect to anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom