My own equipment not allowed for Open Water class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A TDI instructor is likely not going to teach OW.

There's a number that do. It's still worth asking, and I'd venture to say that a potential student who said they'd be interested in learning in a BP/W and long hose would have an even better chance.

If you aren't in a Florida, Mexico etc. you typically don't have a huge demand for tech skills. Locally, there are three tech instructors that I'm aware of, and all of them teach rec diving.

I'm happy to hear arguments against a BP/W setup for a newbie, so throw them at me. Right now I don't see how better/easier buoyancy control and weight distribution is a bad thing.
Not an argument against BPW, but an argument against jumping the gun. Both my kids (16 and 12) and I dive BPW (I make them myself), but my wife can't stand back inflate (whether BPW or just a back inflate BCD).
What I recommend is to do the class in whatever the shop provides (I personally would skip the SSI shop because I think their marketing approach is crappy) and look into borrowing a BPW and a jacket to try on different dives (or in a pool). You may find yourself surprised on what you prefer once you try both (or not!). If you're ever in the lower Alabama/Florida panhandle area, give me a shout and you can try both in my pool (or link up at a springs or such). Either way, I recommend trying before committing, and if you ask around some one can probably let you try theirs instead of renting.

Respectfully,

James

There's a number that do. It's still worth asking, and I'd venture to say that a potential student who said they'd be interested in learning in a BP/W and long hose would have an even better chance.

If you aren't in a Florida, Mexico etc. you typically don't have a huge demand for tech skills. Locally, there are three tech instructors that I'm aware of, and all of them teach rec diving.
I know at least one TDI instructor that is listed as doing SDI classes in the class listings under their name, but instructor doesn’t ever teach SDI classes, which is why I mentioned it’s not a sure thing.

Not an argument against BPW, but an argument against jumping the gun. Both my kids (16 and 12) and I dive BPW (I make them myself), but my wife can't stand back inflate (whether BPW or just a back inflate BCD).
What I recommend is to do the class in whatever the shop provides (I personally would skip the SSI shop because I think their marketing approach is crappy) and look into borrowing a BPW and a jacket to try on different dives (or in a pool). You may find yourself surprised on what you prefer once you try both (or not!). If you're ever in the lower Alabama/Florida panhandle area, give me a shout and you can try both in my pool (or link up at a springs or such). Either way, I recommend trying before committing, and if you ask around some one can probably let you try theirs instead of renting.

Respectfully,

James

^^^^ exactly.
I

I know at least one TDI instructor that is listed as doing SDI classes in the class listings under their name, but instructor doesn’t ever teach SDI classes, which is why I mentioned it’s not a sure thing.
Every TDI instructor is also an SDI instructor.

I scanned this thread, so hopefully I'm not repeating someone else.

@Horgh why not take the discover scuba with rental gear at the LDS. Doesn't matter witch. If you love it, reach out to Woody/Gus for your open water. They are not too far away.

I normally stay out of these discussions but I'm laid up with a bum leg today and so I'm bored. I'm a PADI instructor with 25 years of experience and over 3000 mostly cold water dives. I've owned and worn out multiple BCD's, owned probably 20 different regulators (they were practically given to me as an instructor and at one point, when I was doing technical diving I needed a lot), worn out one wetsuit and a half dozen drysuits. My first reaction is to say don't even consider buying much beyond mask, fins, booties and gloves before you're certified. First, you may find out you don't like or cannot dive. Secondly, no amount of reading can substitute for even a few hours underwater. Wearing the equipment in the water is very different than reading specs or even trying it on on land. Third, if you do go on to do technical diving your instructor or the particular environment or the agency may have specific gear requirements.

I cannot speak to the reason that the SSI shop will not allow you to use your own equipment in the open water class but there are many valid reasons, some of which are mentioned by davehicks and MtnDiverColorado. The shops that I've instructed for have allowed open water students to use their own gear with instructor approval. I personally would not accept your rig in a class. There are skills you will have to learn that are difficult enough with standard gear and become even more difficult with the gear you describe. It also makes it more difficult for your fellow students because the instructor has to take extra time for you. Your seven foot hose also means that your buddy will have a nonstandard experience learning alternate air exercises.

The basis of entry level scuba instruction is to teach you what you need to know to dive safely in conditions as good or better than what you trained in. It has been described as a learners permit. Once you have this cert you can go out, with a buddy, get experience and practice what you have learned. There is no substitute for time in the water. I don't teach extended range diving and the only the overhead environment teaching I do is the PADI wreck diver class but I would not even consider a student for a technical class with less than 100 dives and even then they would have to be an exceptional diver. I've run across one or two of those since I've been teaching. You are getting ahead of yourself by planning on buying a specific set of gear before you've even been in the water.

I did just work with a student who purchased all of his gear online before his open water class. He wrote a very nice review on the shop web page and he was honest enough to say that it was a mistake to purchase before he dove. I know he's already purchased a new computer and I think he is planning on buying a drysuit to replace the wetsuit he purchased before experiencing our 46 degree water.

The one advantage our students have is that the local shops all provide tanks, weights, BCD's, and exposure suits for open water. Oh, rhwestfall is absolutely right about the damage done by the pool to the gear. I insist on using shop BCD's in the pool and my drysuit booties lasted about a year when I was teaching regularly.

I wish you well and hope that diving is everything you imagine it to be. However, I really advise against purchasing gear, especially BCD's and regulators, before you've even been in the water. If you are going to go on to do technical diving then, after you are certified, find your technical instructor and get their advice on gear.

THERE is the winning answer to the basic question that kicked all this off. It is NOT uncommon for an instructor to want all of the "students" in the same equipment configuration so that each skill is not having to be individually taught to each student. This is literally not rocket surgery.
So I don't have PADI/SSI/SDI/NAUI materials with me handy, so I just grabbed a list off the Internet from here: PADI Open Water Skills List • All Skills in Order
PADI Open Water Skills List:
  1. Dive Equipment Assembly
  2. Put on dive equipment using proper technique
  3. Buddy Check
  4. Giant Stride Entry
  5. Inflate/Deflate BCD at the Surface
  6. Buoyancy Check at the Surface
  7. No Mask Breathing Surface
  8. Snorkeling
  9. 5 Point Descent Over Sensitive Bottom
  10. Regulator Clearing Two Methods
  11. Regulator Removal & Recovery
  12. Partially Flooded Mask
  13. Alternate Air Source Stationary for 30 Seconds
  14. Swim Maintaining Buoyancy
  15. Air Check
  16. Skin Dive
  17. Snorkel to Regulator Exchange
  18. Fully Flooded Mask
  19. Mask Removal & Replacement
  20. Air Depletion & Signal
  21. Mask Removal & Replacement for 1 Minute
  22. Exit Using the Ladder
  23. Cramp Release at the Surface (with a buddy)
  24. Neutrally Buoyant (Fin Pivot LPI - Optional)
  25. Cramp Release Underwater (with a buddy)
  26. Hover for 30 seconds
  27. Alternate Air Source Swim for 1 Minute (with a buddy)
  28. CESA - Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent
  29. Tired Diver Tow 25 Meters
  30. Scuba Unit Removal & Replacement at the Surface
  31. Hover Orally Inflate for 1 Minute
  32. Free Flowing Regulator for 30 Seconds
  33. No Mask Swim
  34. Emergency Weight Belt Drop
  35. Weight Belt Removal and Replacement Underwater
  36. Scuba Unit Removal and Replacement Underwater
  37. PADI Mini Dive
  38. PADI 5 Point Ascent
  39. Orally Inflate the BCD at the Surface
  40. Equipment Disassembly
Repeating your comment:
THERE is the winning answer to the basic question that kicked all this off. It is NOT uncommon for an instructor to want all of the "students" in the same equipment configuration so that each skill is not having to be individually taught to each student. This is literally not rocket surgery.
I only see the following as being different:
1. Equipment Assembly. If that is too much for an instructor to teach, they should just quit teaching.
40. Equipment Disassembly. Same comment as above.

27. Alternate Air Source Swim for 1 Minute (with a buddy). This is going to be slightly different for a long hose, but isn't all that arduous.

36. Scuba Unit Removal and Replacement Underwater. This can be an issue if the student is using a Hogarthian harness and the instructor doesn't have experience with one, or knows how to pull the scuba kit over from one's head. But a "deluxe" harness? No issue.

Am I missing something? Just to be clear, @Doby45, I'm not looking for a bickerfest here, but I'm trying to bring data into this particular claim.

Your seven foot hose also means that your buddy will have a nonstandard experience learning alternate air exercises
I'd agree that a 7' hose might best be left out of the OW class. (Particularly with that lovely snorkel.)

But the 4 or 5' primary donate version has the same operation as a standard main regulator and an AIr2 alternate air source in terms of donation. Unless you plan to ban students with Air2, I'm not sure your justification for banning learning with a 5' hose.

Unless you plan to ban students with Air2,

Yup, I will not teach, encourage or have anything to do with a piece of dive equipment that can become dangerous in possible real world applications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom