My personal BSDME.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, so I'm really looking forward to Bonaire (less than 90 days left, now). Add the fact that I just finished my NAUI Divemaster cert, and I've got a little "spare" time on my hands (relatively speaking). Now, toss in the little detail that I own a laminating machine (for underwater board and card games, actually), and things start getting fun.

So, you see, the thought hit me. I should laminate all the pages from my copy of BSDME (5th Edition) so that I can more easily use them on the trip (and so they won't get all wet and icky). Of course, naturally, the next thought was that I really need to have each laminated sheet be a *single* dive site, as that way I'll be able to use them almost like a deck of cards (hehe, "Pick a dive, any dive..." with the jokers removed, of course). It would just make it more useful. Of course, I only had one copy of BSDME, so...

I just spent quite a few hours, over the weekend and last night, typing the full text of BSDME so that I can print and laminate it as a "divemaster edition" (to go with my actual book). Of course, once you get to that point, you start having... ideas. :biggrin: Why not put a map on the back of each half-sheet page? Why not include GPS coordinates of all the sites for which I can find them online? Why not embellish the plain formatted text pages with icons?

Well, I haven't started on the layout, maps, or GPS coordinates yet (hey, I've got almost three months!), but I have created the complete set of icons I'm going to use to visually present the pertinent information. I can share those, at least, as they're completely my own work. And so, the icons:

attachment.php

(I'll have to upload a PDF of the final product to show off when I'm done. I'll just have to replace all the actual BSDME text with gibberish, but you'll be able to see the layouts and accouterments. :D)

Attachments

• Icons.png
    Icons.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 512
Wow, ClayJar, nice job!

You are essentially working on a revised edition of BDSME. Why don't you work with Susan Porter and publish it? Perhaps a notebook format in which the individual pages could be removed? And, a photograph of each site would be icing on the cake. Can you say "New York Times Best Seller?!"

Congrats on your DM, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Clay Jar,
I have put many hours into BSDME and have a copyright license on the material. I do hope that this is for your personal use only. I am tremendously complimented that you find the guide such a wealth of information and hope you enjoy your holiday in Bonaire.

Clay Jar,
I have put many hours into BSDME and have a copyright license on the material. I do hope that this is for your personal use only. I am tremendously complimented that you find the guide such a wealth of information and hope you enjoy your holiday in Bonaire.

Susan, one would have to assume that since Clayjar posted the following:

"I'll just have to replace all the actual BSDME text with gibberish ..." that he is doing so with the intent of not violating your copyright.

I also, bought a copy of your book and found it very helpful in Bonaire last year.

ClayJar,
I have put many hours into BSDME and have a copyright license on the material. I do hope that this is for your personal use only.
But of course. My apologies for apparently not being quite clear enough in that regard. As a creator of works myself, I am certainly not going to infringe on another's copyright, and *especially* not for something like BSDME, which is immensely valuable, time consuming to compile and update, and rather low volume (compared to trade paperbacks, at least).

I'm only making my personal copy as I'm far too visual a thinker to allow my copy of BSDME to linger on as plain text. It's just *so* much easier for me to flip through pages noting the icons before delving into the meat of the text on a given dive. With an art project like that staring me in the face, how could I *not* fire up the old pixel pushers? :biggrin:

Naturally, I enjoy showing off my work (doesn't anyone), but I was careful to mention that it would *only* be my work that I'd be able to show off (hence replacing the text with gibberish in any show-off copy -- a standard procedure in design projects, web or otherwise, to preclude any potential infringement). Of course, if *you'd* like a real-text version, I would be happy to bring you a copy of the finished work, if you'd so desire. (I'll have to contact Dee to get permission to include the ABC coral page if I make a copy for you, of course.)

I am tremendously complimented that you find the guide such a wealth of information and hope you enjoy your holiday in Bonaire.
I am quite certain I will enjoy myself tremendously, and BSDME has been quite a useful source of information.

We are looking forward to coming back from Bonaire with our copy of BSDME tattered, soggy, marked up, and basically well-loved.

That said, there is certainly room for improvement in the graphic design area (like, having some). :wink: Maybe you two could work something out? I'm sure with the price of the book being low and the sales volume being low as well, there isn't any $$$ room for full color glossies, but even some icons or black and whites would be nice to break up the book a little bit.

I find this flash card thing insulting to Susan. I will preface this with the fact that I know Susan personally, and know the amount of time and effort that goes into updating and publishing BSDME, which she does on her own.

The amount of time required to rate each dive site is immense. Particuarly when you consider, what one diver may deem "beginner" another might deem "advanced." Entries, exits, swim distance to the reef, again, is immensly time consuming. As Susan dives Bonaire's reefs daily, she sees the changes that occur from month to month, and year to year to each dive site. This is reflected in the guide. Also the amount of copy editing that goes into the guide is immense.

I know that in the past it's been mentioned about adding glossy pictures and maps, that is a significant cost to the publisher (Susan). Maybe if someone has some captial to invest?

Again, while I think it's a cute idea, I certainly wonder about copyright infringements, you are taking her rating system and years of hard work and just presenting them in another format. Certainly not right or respectful to Susan and her efforts IMHO.

BTW, Susan does not know I am posting this.

Cynde

Cynde, relax. Nobody is putting Susan or her hard work down here. If anything I see it as a complement that her book is so useful that the people who buy it want to help improve it.

Pretty much everybody in this thread has already voted with their dollars. Nobody in this thread is making a cent off of her hard work.

As well, If nobody cared about the book they wouldn't be interested in what happens to future revisions.

I will preface this with the fact that I know Susan personally, and know the amount of time and effort that goes into updating and publishing BSDME, which she does on her own.

The amount of time required to rate each dive site is immense. Particularly when you consider, what one diver may deem "beginner" another might deem "advanced." Entries, exits, swim distance to the reef, again, is immensely time consuming. As Susan dives Bonaire's reefs daily, she sees the changes that occur from month to month, and year to year to each dive site. This is reflected in the guide. Also the amount of copy editing that goes into the guide is immense.
You seem to be of the fantastically mistaken belief that I don't respect the considerable amount of work that goes into BSDME. I certainly hope you're not starting from unsupported assumptions completely disconnected from reality, especially as you've read my (intended to be) personal correspondence to Susan.

I know that in the past it's been mentioned about adding glossy pictures and maps, that is a significant cost to the publisher (Susan). Maybe if someone has some capital to invest?
Frankly, I don't believe BSDME needs glossy photos or a bunch of maps. In fact, I rather think that would detract from the simple usefulness that is BSDME. If it had all sorts of pretty pictures, it'd be bigger and more expensive, but it wouldn't really be more useful.

On the other hand, having some simple greyscale icons along the top or side of the pages would greatly improve the visual presentation. I don't know how much having simple black-and-white graphics would add to the expense of printing, so I can't say they would be worth it. If there would not be significant additional per-copy printing expense, I would personally *donate* my graphics (they're all in vector format, suitable for any printing method) and any help I might be able to provide to incorporate them. I would gladly sign a non-revocable royalty-free license to Susan and BSDME.

Again, while I think it's a cute idea, I certainly wonder about copyright infringements, you are taking her rating system and years of hard work and just presenting them in another format. Certainly not right or respectful to Susan and her efforts IMHO.
You needn't wonder about copyright infringements. On the one hand, provided there is no copying of the text, there can be no finding of copyright infringement. As the only words in common are the site names, and the site names are matters of fact, not substantive creative works, it could not be more clear that no copyright is being infringed.

Far more significant, however, is the fact that I would never infringe on Susan's copyright or take actions which could negatively impact sales of BSDME! The whole *point* of my making up a bunch of artwork was to use my creative skills to express my appreciation of Susan's efforts in BSDME. All I've done is to do something that may be able to increase the usefulness of BSDME (and perhaps even induce more people to buy it).

BTW, Susan does not know I am posting this.
I had intended to speak privately to Susan (hence my emailing *her* address) to see what *she* thought about it. *You* received the email and used the username and password I was providing for Susan and for Susan alone, and you took it upon yourself to insult me and call me a thief. Apparently, someone else also received it, as well, unless Susan has just flown to New York.

I will not hold it against you that you have assaulted my character so. I understand that you are merely reacting irrationally in support of a friend. (A noble act, well, except for the misguidedness of it.) If you might be so kind as to suspend your attacks at least momentarily while I wait for what I sincerely hope will be a much more level-headed reply from Susan herself, I would be grateful.

(Meanwhile, if I need to provide character references to calm your suspicions, please *PM* me and I will get you contact information. :biggrin: Oh, and if Susan does not actually receive email addressed to her, please let me know so I can address her via PM. I only emailed as I believed that would be more convenient for her.)

But of course. My apologies for apparently not being quite clear enough in that regard. As a creator of works myself, I am certainly not going to infringe on another's copyright, and *especially* not for something like BSDME, which is immensely valuable, time consuming to compile and update, and rather low volume (compared to trade paperbacks, at least).

I'm only making my personal copy as I'm far too visual a thinker to allow my copy of BSDME to linger on as plain text. It's just *so* much easier for me to flip through pages noting the icons before delving into the meat of the text on a given dive. With an art project like that staring me in the face, how could I *not* fire up the old pixel pushers? :biggrin:

Naturally, I enjoy showing off my work (doesn't anyone), but I was careful to mention that it would *only* be my work that I'd be able to show off (hence replacing the text with gibberish in any show-off copy -- a standard procedure in design projects, web or otherwise, to preclude any potential infringement). Of course, if *you'd* like a real-text version, I would be happy to bring you a copy of the finished work, if you'd so desire. (I'll have to contact Dee to get permission to include the ABC coral page if I make a copy for you, of course.)

I am quite certain I will enjoy myself tremendously, and BSDME has been quite a useful source of information.

Dude, don't supply Susan with too much info or one day you may see your "Divemaster version" up for sale and you will be out. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom