My pet fish at Shaw's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hermosadive:
Since both of you have taken the time to post relpys that I would classify as equally "troll"-worthy, I might as well jump in. Stop trying to take a personal interest in the ownership of a thread or a forum. If you don't agree, don't reply. If you find it annoying, don't relpy. If you find it annoying and want to reply, go ahead. If you want to reply to stir up conversation, go ahead. Have fun with the board. I personally find it annoying when I see 10 post with "Troll". I keep coming back though, because it really doesn't matter what I feel.

my reply was short and brief and did not "take any personal interest" at all. It was one post and a follow up in an attempt to stop people from wasting their time on a post that was either meant to waste time or not too well thought out. After the second post by Mr. Pet Fish, it was obvious that certain information was left out. There are people here that give very intelligent and articulate posts so let's not waste their time. I enjoy reading them and have learned much from them.

now,take it to "whine & cheeze" before i call the WAAmbulance...

scubahorse:
I called it strawberry since it more colorful than a regular Red grouper (Epinephelus morio) but it is just a red grouper not a coral group.

Cool. I was just doing a safety stop in a big school of great white sharks the other day. Actually, they were just spiny dogfish, but I called them great whites because they were bigger than average.

In other words, let's call a thing by it's own name instead of something else's, okay?

Dive Training Magazine just had an article on this in the October 2004 issue. I will not go into the datails of this article, but rather incourage all of you to read it for yourself.

http://www.dtmag.com/10-04-Editorial.shtml

The link above is for the editorial column. DT Mag does not publish its regular articles on the web. But you may be able to obtain a copy from your LDS if you are interested.

Parrothead_Diver:

That editorial was relevant to me because I was the one who saw and photographed the spotted porcupinefish at Shaw's on Oct 26. I knew immediately that it was not supposed to be there because of the fabulous resources we have available to us due to researchers, authors, and photographers who have made it easy for divers to learn about the species for a given marine ecosystem.

While researching all about my little friend, I learned that it will probably lead a stressed life due to colder temps than preferred, practically zero chance for reproduction, and a short life span. While it was really cool to see something unusual, I wish he were in an environment better suited to his needs.

For that reason, I am saddened that another exotic fish has been placed into stressful conditions. Couldn't that fish have been given to an aquarium where it might have had a better chance at survival?

Definitely not an appropriate thing to do. Yes, the species may be native to parts of the Pacific coast, but not to the California province into which you released it (but to the Panamic province where its normal distribution is). Fortunately it was a single individual and most likely will not breed. Fortunately it was raised in an aquarium and won't be well-trained to feed in its new habitat. As may also be the case, it may not recognize its new predators and meet a hasty demise putting an end to this ecological "threat."

Introduction of species not native to a region is generally a very bad idea. Even releases within the natural range may not be a good thing since the individual(s) released may have genotypes that will not be beneficial to the population and result in non-hardy offspring when it mates with an individual better adapted to the particular site conditions.

Dr. Bill

I for one don't believe the originator of this thread to be a troll. I just think in his misguided attempt at being more "animal-friendly" he nearly created more ecological harm.

I think the word troll is thrown around too much on this board and I find it fairly annoying at times :wink:

pasley:
Ah, ok so that is a fish of a different type.
Arn't the waters a bit warmer in the Gulf of Mexico and California than our waters up here? It would appear that he is now a bit north of his normal habitat.
Yeah, but he can keep warm if he swims really fast, and Mexico's only a hundred miles or so to the south. As long as someone told him to swim a little ways out from shore and turn left, li'l fishy should be just fine. :icorolley

It was not a troll and I am sorry. I don't know how can I make you guys less unhappy. I will report this case to California Department of Fish and Game.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom