My Scubapro MK20 and Cracks ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've read about the MK20 and the cracking problem. I own a MK20 and I'm going to have my LDS "examine" it. What specifically do I need to tell him. Is there any specific Scubapro service bullitin number or reference number that I need to refer him to.

Should I tell him to order any specific parts kits from Scubapro and replace?

I've read somewhere that you can replace several parts inside the MK20 that will basically "upgrade" the interal workings to the same as the MK25. I would like to do this but don't know what to tell my LDS Scubapro tech.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Here you go . . .

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=97804&highlight=scubapro+crack

JKSteger:
I've read about the MK20 and the cracking problem. I own a MK20 and I'm going to have my LDS "examine" it. What specifically do I need to tell him. Is there any specific Scubapro service bullitin number or reference number that I need to refer him to.

Should I tell him to order any specific parts kits from Scubapro and replace?

I've read somewhere that you can replace several parts inside the MK20 that will basically "upgrade" the interal workings to the same as the MK25. I would like to do this but don't know what to tell my LDS Scubapro tech.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jeremy

If the place that you are taking the MK20 is a Scubapro facility, you shouldn't have to worry about telling them anything. They should be well versed in the problem and know exactly what to do about it. If not, you may want to take it somewhere where they do.

Technically the difference betwene a Mk 20 and Mk 25 is the use of the adjustable High pressure seat retainer on the Mk 25 that lets a tech externally adjust the intermediate pressure on the first stage. There is really no reason that a diver would want to spend extra money for the upgrade given that it will make no difference to anyone other than the tech.

There are other differences though given that MK 20's and Mk 25's have both evolved over time. An early Mk 20 for example lacks much of the TIS kit found in later Mk 20's and 25's. Also the Mk 20 went through three different piston styles and the Mk 25 has seen one minor revision in the composite piston used in late Mk 20's and in the Mk 25.

The swivel caps have also changed over time as have the LP port turrets themselves. In this regard, the early Mk 20's had Mk 15 style caps and turrets, while late MK 20's had larger oval holed swivel caps that looked identical to those on early the Mk 25's and the late Mk 25's use the finned cap with a reprofiled Lp port turret.

So basically, depending on how old the Mk 20 is, it may take only the seat retainer to make it a full fledged Mk 25, or it may require a new seat retainer, new piston, new swivel cap and new LP port turret.

Personally, except for the piston, all the updates can be skipped as the real world performance is otherwise identical.

Thanks,
I had it checked out and the Tech said no problems. It has the new retaining nut installed and he said everything was okay.

Jeremy

Back
Top Bottom