my skin turns red after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I've been diving two years and I dive pretty often. Over the last few months I've noticed that a few hours after getting out of the ocean, my face turns red like I'm sunburnt. It's across my nose and cheeks with white circles under my eyes just like I burned with sunglasses on.
I have very fair, sensative skin and have been known to burn in the shade, but this even happens on night dives and aquarium dives. I rinse my face in fresh water as soon as I'm able and moisturize as well.
My skin feels warm and irritated much like a burn without the pain or peeling. I can't figure out what would have started this and I'm really tired of people at work asking if I got some sun this weekend.
Any ideas?

Have you been using a new mask? Possibly an allergic reaction to the silicon or rubber. Or what do you use to clean your mask? Are you trying a new type of defog? All possible allergic reactions.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Nope, unfortunately neither are true. I am trying a new mask but this started before I went to it and the red covers my whole face.
thanks though

Nay:
Nope, unfortunately neither are true. I am trying a new mask but this started before I went to it and the red covers my whole face.
thanks though

Could it be mask squeeze?
Could it be possible that some diuretic is causing you to retain fluids so your mask fits tighter?

I am just throwing these out as possibilities without any clue if that is really the problem.

I've seen this in other divers. Think it has something to do with the capillaries. Are you descending faster than you used to...? Do you ascend at 30 ft per min with deep and safety stops?

Sb Hiccups again. :blush:

What happened to the notice that were posting the same post twice...?

Hmmm...does it happen all the time or only with certain dives (deep, long, etc).
You might try an experiment of shorter / shallower dives, or slowing down your ascent by 1/2.

Also could it be a reaction to something in the water, like sea lice?
The sea is also full of bacteria, perhaps your skin is more sensitive to it.

ronbeau:
Could it be mask squeeze?
Could it be possible that some diuretic is causing you to retain fluids so your mask fits tighter?

I am just throwing these out as possibilities without any clue if that is really the problem.

Diuretics do not cause fluid retention. On the contrary, they increase urinary flow to treat fluid retention. But there are other drugs that do cause retention. I don't think that's the problem here, though.

Mask squeeze would go away after an hour or two. This sounds like it lasts a couple of days.

I have mild exzema and my skin is sensitive. Sometimes, the sun and the sea water cause my face to get very red (not sunburn) and hot. This is because of the exzema condition. But it goes away after a little while especially if I can cool my skin down.

I would suggest talking to a doctor. Perhaps a dermatologist. Or call DAN. I think they have probably heard it all by now :D

I have this problem, diving or not, if I use certain brands of sunscreen on my face meant for adults. I put the sunscreen on indoors....no problem. I go out in the sun or in the ocean and my face is red and feels like it's on fire. I can't wash the stuff off fast enough. I don't have this problem if I use facial sunscreen meant for babies.

I know you said you have this problem on night dives, but could it be an allergic/senstivity reaction of some sort like mine?

Having similar symptoms myself, and also being very fair, has me focusing in on the capillaries. And rosacea, which can cause "flushing" in the face, especially the cheeks. The more mild versions sometimes don't have the accompanying "adult acne" bumps. Often found in very fair individuals. A dermatologist could help diagnose this. You can read more about it here: http://www.rosacea.org/patients/whatis.html (Don't get freaked about the more severe forms - just focus on the flushing part and the burning/stinging).

Similarly, as a naturally fair person, sometimes you don't shed heat efficiently (the capillaries in those of northern heritage are often good at retaining core heat, not shedding excess through perspiration). This can cause a reddening of the face with even mild exertion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom