My turn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My girlfriend and I got certified on Saturday. We are on to our AOW.

Got are own equipment, booked a trip to Bonaire with our LDS for November, trying to figure out how to dive more often with our schedules...yes, we are hooked!!!!

By the way, after we got certified, we went with an assistant instructor to check out a boat in about 35 feet of water. The visibility was horrendous..again....I was not real happy about the viz, but I felt fine, but my girlfriend later told me she had a feeling of claustaphobia and was very uncomfortable.

My question is...is there anything her and I can practice together in conditions like that for her to become more comfortable...sadly to say..most of our dives are not going to be in the pristine clear oceans, but in the waters of the Midwest. Is it a matter of keeping at it until she becomes more comfortable? Any suggestions?

jepuskar once bubbled...
My question is...is there anything her and I can practice together in conditions like that for her to become more comfortable
Sure... got a pool? Or access to a pool? Begin by practicing skills with your eyes closed. Then graduate to practice skills at night, or, if you've no pool at night, put aluminum foil in your masks & practice that way. When y'all are comfy in the pool with both individual and buddy skills done with touch only, low vis will be much, much less stressful.
Rick

by Rick and I'll add that you need to move slowly, literally and figuratively, in to the low viz. If she is fine with 15' viz then try someplace where the viz is 10', then down to 5'. Take it slow and easy.

Congradulations on the Cert.

Comfort will come. If you want practice with low vis you could come and dive where JBD and I dove today. It was about 2 ft.

Chad

Grats on your OW!
The more dives you take her on, the more her confidence will grow, and the less the claustaphobia.
The diving in low viz will make you guys better divers, and when November comes and you have great viz in Bonaire, it will be no problem!

Congratulations to you both on your certs. Still have to do one more lake dive for mine. I know how your girlfriend feels, I really hate the low visability. I have been going to the pool and practicing with my eyes closed. I have my husband hold my hand while just swimming to keep me from knocking my head on the side of the pool and practice the rest of my skills while he keeps an eye out for me. This is really helping me to feel alot less scared about going back to the lake. I think we are going to do that next week. Hopefully vis will be better than last time, if not I think I am a little better prepared. Have fun in Bon Aire .

Thanks for the suggestions....part of the problem that I failed to mention was that it didn't help to be below the thermocline with the low viz. We had on appropriate wet suits and booties, but no hood or gloves. It wasn't too bad..I think around 65 or so, but she absolutely hates cold water/weather. I think we are going to pick up the hood/gloves this week. That will atleast take the cold factor out of the picture.

We are planning our first non-supervised dive together this Friday back in the same quarry. Hopefully the viz will be better being a weekday....but for the sake of practice I hope its kind of crappy. Again, we aren't out to sight see, but to rather work on being comfortable, bouyancy, etc.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom