My zoop died. What next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cutter1470

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My suunto zoop after 100+ dives lost it's mind and I had to send it on to a better place.
I have a Suunto Cobra but I find that I really miss my wrist mount. I would like to step up from the zoop and the Viper is a possibility. I wanted to consider other options though. My concern is if I get a different brand that there will be dive restriction conflicts because of different algorithms. Especially on big dive trips where I dive 20-25 dives in 5 days.
Is this a real problem or is my OCD showing?
Recommendations for other computers? I would like back light, larger display, Nitrox and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be few computers more conservative than suunto, if you were fine with the zoop just get another suunto. My primary is a suunto vyper air and an oceanic geo as a backup. The oceanic gives me more no deco time for sure, it hasn't really been an issue for me having 2 different brands/algo's.

If you bought your Zooplankton new 100 dives is very little use on that computer and it should not have died so soon...maybe the battery, but not the computer itself.

With that said, I think "I" would get another Zoop. You already have the Cobra for your primary computer, now you need or at least want a wrist computer. The Zoop is a great basic dive computer.

There will be few computers more conservative than suunto, if you were fine with the zoop just get another suunto.
I'm pretty sure there are no computers more conservative than a Suunto. If comparability with your Cobra is important to you, then you really need to get another Suunto, otherwise you will have two computers telling you two very different things on every dive. If you get a Viper, then you are essentially getting a wrist mounted Cobra without the air integration. I guess that's good.

On the other hand, why spend the extra money if you are only looking for a backup that is on the wrist? I agree with Oldbear that you should be able to get a replacement for the Zoop, because 100 dives should not be an issue at all with it. If you can't, whatever Suunto you can get at the cheapest possible price would be my advice.

Did you try checking on the warranty or repair through your LDS? If I had a computer that "died" after a mere 100 dives, I'd be questioning the manufacturer and the point of purchase.

Oddly enough, I never looked into the warrantee. The repair shop I talked too didn't think the computer was salvageable. They thought the pressure sensor was shot.
I'll have to think a bit more next time it happens. Maybe I should expect more than a few years and 100 dives out of my next computer.

I'll have to think a bit more next time it happens. Maybe I should expect more than a few years and 100 dives out of my next computer.
I've got a little over 300 dives on my Vyper (on and off over 10 years), plus another ~200 hours of pool time, and it still works fine (knock on wood). 100 dives over a year should be the break in period.

I'm also looking at getting another one as a primary and using my Vyper as a backup, which means I may be locked into a Suunto if I want comparable algorithms.

Ditto on the 100 dives is just broken in. Many of my dive computers are approaching 20 yrs old with no issues.

I would also not mix suunto with another brand if you do repetitive dives. Suunto spanks you real hard if you don't wait the magic 60 minutes between dives. Better to have 2 computers that agree closely.

Oddly enough, I never looked into the warrantee. The repair shop I talked too didn't think the computer was salvageable. They thought the pressure sensor was shot.

Contact Suunto directly; not the LSD. 100 dives the computer should not have malfunctioned unless it was abused somehow. To me it is all win and nothing to lose at this point in time.

My depth froze at 45feet. I dropped if off at my LDS, 2 hours later they said they reset it and I should take it for a couple dives. According to suunto on this forum, the sensor has a 5y warranty, everything else is 2 year.

Back
Top Bottom