mysterious Oriental Siren liveaboard disappearance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizardqueen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
today doing more East Timor recon & came across this
The best diving in Thailand on liveaboard S/Y Oriental Siren

good news that everyone returned safe & sound but what a strange article - I quote :
"we believe that the vessel has been lost. To date, interviews with the boat crew and passengers indicate that bad weather, although a possible contributing factor, was likely not the sole cause of the incident"

hmm, the people on board can't explain or don't know what happened?!

btw we were thinking of being land-based in Timor, but enquiring minds still want to know what this is about - has anyone heard, or was anyone on the board there?

hey thanks for links Damselfish, I found the Oriental Siren looking on Timor sites & wasn't checking Malaysia. those reports are all about weather, weather & more weather being unpredictable & tough - but I'm going to keep monitoring threads for the "other reasons"

Hi Lizardqueen

We will have a final update very soon on the incident of the S/Y Oriental Siren. Please bear with us we are not trying to be mysterious but stick to the facts. This is not always an easy thing to do and speculation as to the cause will always occur in such situations. We in no way wish to upset or offend any posters but we must also consider the thoughts and feelings of our guests, along with legal ramifications of making public declarations without full details.

If you are thinking of land based diving in Timor-Leste then Dive Lorasae would be a good option for you. We hope you enjoy the diving there :)

Thanks in advance for your understanding,
best wishes from the Siren Fleet

Siren people - I do appreciate your point about considering feelings of those on board the vessel. I've been in touch with Dive Lorosae about Jaco and the east end of Timor - it'll be just 2 of us, which isn't enough to warrant their bringing a boat out there. Ruth says it's an unexplored area which we could check out ourselves if we want to rent out some tanks. I'd want to go with someone who knows the area - someone must've scoped out all the dive sites mapped out on Lorosae's web site, even if these aren't on their regular rotation :

Divesites map in Timor Leste

To anyone reading this, I'd be happy to hear from you about getting a group together sometime to have critical mass in Jaco Island E Timor - it doesn't have to be during our already-scheduled November window

today doing more East Timor recon & came across this
The best diving in Thailand on liveaboard S/Y Oriental Siren

good news that everyone returned safe & sound but what a strange article - I quote :
"we believe that the vessel has been lost. To date, interviews with the boat crew and passengers indicate that bad weather, although a possible contributing factor, was likely not the sole cause of the incident"

hmm, the people on board can't explain or don't know what happened?!

btw we were thinking of being land-based in Timor, but enquiring minds still want to know what this is about - has anyone heard, or was anyone on the board there?

Mysterious Siren fleet WWDS website disappearance also. I checked this morning their site in gone.

Back
Top Bottom